DA ERA project coordinator
We are looking for a coordinator. If you are interested, please contact us at ERA-VA@democratsabroad.org. Here's an overview of the role.
Since 2011, Virginia Senate has passed the ERA resolution 5 times, but the Virginia House has killed it in subcommittee. It is up again in 2019.
- 1/1/2019 - ERA bills submitted (SJ284 and HJ579)
- 1/15/2019 - Senate passes ERA bill SJ284 26-18
- 1/22/2019 - House P&E Subcommittee #1 kills both SJ284 and HJ579
- 1/25/2019 - Movement underway to allow SJ284 and HJ579 to go to the floor vote in the House
2019 State Legislature Session Dates
January 9 through March 10
What You Can Do
Put the ERA back on TRACK for passage this session!
1) Read this cutting rebuke of the Family Foundation and Delegate Margaret Ransone
2) Make plans to join our Feb 5, 11:30am rally at the Capitol - RSVP here
3) Call these men and tell them 81% of Virginians want the ERA, and House Republican leadership should stop their renewed war on women and let it get a vote THIS session on the floor.
Speaker KIRK COX (804) 698-1066 DelKCox@house.virginia.gov
Del John McGuire (804) 698-1056 DelJMcGuire@house.virginia.gov
Del Chris Jones(804) 698-1076 DelCJones@house.virginia.gov
Del Jay Leftwich (804) 698-1078 DelJLeftwich@house.virginua.gov
AND your Delegate (whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov)
You can find the list of state legislature members along with their email, address and phone number here.
4) Contact your state U.S. Senators to co-sponsor the bill to eliminate the deadline for the ERA or thank them if they already are
5) Contact your state U.S. Representative to co-sponsor the bill to eliminate the deadline for the ERA or thank them if they already are
There are several other ERA campaigns initiated by Democrats Abroad. You can find the list and details here.
State ERA Groups
These are organizations that have emails about Virginia ERA activities.
Here are some Facebook groups to follow.
Articles about ERA in Virginia
Click here for a list of current articles about ERA.