Equal Rights Amendment
Democrats Abroad support for ERA
One of Democrats Abroad's key issues is to secure the rights of women through the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.
DA unanimously passed a resolution in May 2018 to support ERA.
The Equal Rights Amendment was first submitted in 1923. In 1972, it almost unanimously passed the House and Senate and was then submitted to the states for ratification. As of now, 37 of the 38 have ratified it. Click here for more details.
You can watch the free video Legalize Equality. Click here for the link and password.
You can find the status by state including the national ERA as well as equal rights in the state constitutions.
We need one more state to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment for it to become part of the U.S. Constitution. The states that have not ratified the ERA are as follows including known 2019 ERA bills. You can click on the state name for more details about status and actions needed.
- Alabama - last update 1/26/2019
- Arkansas - last update 1/26/2019
- Arizona - (SCR1006,HCR2030) - last update 3/3/2019
- Florida - (SCR266) - last update 1/26/2019
- Georgia - (SR55,SR66) last update 3/18/2019
- Louisianna - (TBD) last update 2/2/2019
- Mississippi - (HC5) last update 2/3/2019
- Missouri - (SCR7,HCR12) - last update 1/31/2019
- North Carolina - (TBD) last update 2/3/2019
- Oklahoma - last update 1/26/2019
- South Carolina - (H-3391,H-3340) last update 3/3/2019
- Utah - last update 3/6/2019
- Virginia - (SJ284, HJ579) - last update 3/3/2019
Here is the list of ERA bills that have been started in the unratified states.
Here are the 2019 state legislative session dates.
Democrats Abroad has launched several ERA Campaigns. These are designed so that an American living abroad can participate. We also encourage you to share this information with your friends back home - especially if they live in one of the unratified states.
Click here to see our active campaigns.
U.S. Congress Activity
There is also activity in the U.S. Congress. Ask your senators and representatives to co-sponsor these bills - or thank them if they already have.
In the Senate, there is bipartisan bill S.J.Res.6 to remove the deadline from the Equal Rights Amendment. Click here on how to help.
In the House there are two bipartisan bills. Bill H.J.Res.35 is a proposed new Equal Rights Amendment. Bill H.J.Res.38 is to remove the deadline from the Equal Rights Amendment. Click here on how to help.
Questions or Want to Help
If you have questions about ERA or would like to help, please contact us at ERA@democratsabroad.org.
DA's ERA Project Coordinator