Equal Rights Amendment
"Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."
CALL TO ACTION
You can help. Click on the above images to find out how.
BREAKING NEWS -
- March 17, 2021 - US House passes HJRes 17 (222-204) to remove the deadline from the ERA
- March 5, 2021 - DC Federal Judge rules that the 1982 deadline means NV, IL, and VA ratifications too late
- January 21, 2021 - Bipartisan bills introduced in House and Senate to remove deadline from ERA.
- January 27, 2020 - Virginia ratified the ERA and became the needed 38th state.
- More ERA in the News
Democrats Abroad Support for ERA
One of Democrats Abroad's key issues is to secure the rights of women through the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.
The Equal Rights Amendment Task Force works to promote the addition of equal rights in the US Constitution and all state constitutions. This includes research, advocacy, education and communication.
2021 - This is the year to reach out to our Senators to remove the deadline from the ERA amendment.
2020 - DA helped elect pro-ERA candidates in the House and Senate along with a pro-ERA President and Vice-President.
2019 - DA work in 2019 to help elect pro-ERA delegates in Virginia paid off. In the November 2019 election, the Virginia Senate and House turned blue with the Democrats promising to make ERA one of their top priorities.
2018 - DA unanimously passed a resolution in May 2018 to support ERA. There is now an ERA Task Force in place to work in conjunction with other organizations on the ratification.
The task force has designed several campaigns for ways our members can help.
How you can help
- Contact your US Senators to support ERA.
- If you vote in one of the 12 states that have not ratified it, contact your state legislature members to support ERA.
Democrats Abroad has launched several ERA Campaigns at the state and national level. These are designed so that an American living abroad can participate. We also encourage you to share this information with your friends back home - especially if they live in one of the unratified states.
Click here to see our active campaigns with details on how you can help.
Questions or Want to Help
If you have questions about ERA or would like to help, please contact us at [email protected].
DA's ERA Task Force Chair