About the Position
Democrats Abroad (DA) was the margin of victory for Joe Biden in Georgia and Arizona. We’re determined not only to deliver scale-tipping votes in races across the United States in 2022 and beyond, but also to have a longer table instead of a higher fence for anyone who wants to be involved. In consultation with the International Executive Committee, Global Caucus Chairs, and Global Team Coordinators, the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Officer will regularly assess organizational methods, structures, and policies to ultimately make recommendations and work with current leaders to make DA more diverse, equitable, and inclusive.
Success in this role involves supporting and developing leadership teams to include and sustain diverse members; facilitation of equitable platforms and programs routinely used by DA volunteers and leaders; and providing solutions to actual or potential barriers to inclusion. Specific areas of development include conflict resolution, implementing change, problem-solving, innovation, delegation, building trust and respect, and coaching and mentoring.
- Collaborate with DA leaders, volunteers, and members to create, implement, and monitor programs designed to ensure fair and equitable treatment within our organization
- Build and lead a team responsible for developing DA diversity, equality, and inclusion guidelines and educating DA leaders about it
- Provide strategic direction for training initiatives, with the ultimate goal of developing a more inclusive organization in relation to race, ethnicity, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and other identity characteristics
- Engage with DA leaders to build a welcoming and inclusive organizational culture
- Work with DA leaders, members, and volunteers to resolve issues as needed
- Collaborate with external and internal groups to promote and advance diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Review and, as necessary, revise our current Code of Conduct to reflect diversity, equity, and inclusion guidelines
Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to helping DA, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed
- Member of Democrats Abroad (join here)
- Real-world experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion methods and programs, preferably in a multinational organization or company
- Passion for intersectional and relational organizing applicable to Democratic Party ideologies
- Experience leading teams
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proven ability to professionally and confidentially handle sensitive information
- Outgoing and highly communicative
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects across multiple time zones
Estimated Time Commitment: 5-7 hours per week
Start Date: Flexible
End Date: May 2023
Compensation: Unpaid (but tremendously rewarding!)
Please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your vision and qualifications for the role in PDF format to [email protected].
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.