On Wednesday, May 10th, Ohio state representatives voted 62-37 to pass the Senate Joint Resolution 2 (SJR2) with an August 8 election clause. Now, if you’re confused because you read our March email about Governor DeWine signing HB 458 earlier this year banning August Special Elections, you are not alone.
Allied groups across Ohio are currently working diligently to get abortion rights on the ballot this November. Coincidence that the Republicans are making a power play before the November general election? We think not.
If Ohio voters approve this change to our state constitution, the amendment will increase all future citizen-led bill passage rates from a simple majority to 60%. On top of that, Ohio taxpayers are expected to foot the $20 million bill for this detestable Republican trick. They made the same play by having two primaries in May 2023 and putting the costs on the taxpayers. Enough is enough!
This is not an off-year in Ohio
Request your ballot now at https://www.votefromabroad.org/ to make sure Republicans are not able to manipulate the future of Ohio by taking the vote away from its people.
Important dates to know for the August 8th Election!
July 10th - Voter Registration Deadline
July 11th - Early Voting Begins
August 8th - Election Day
After you have requested your ballot, help spread the word to Ohio voters around the globe by changing your Facebook cover photo to say “Vote No on August 8th.” Download the image HERE.
Deep dive into the passing of Senate Joint Resolution 2 (SJR2)
- Group sues over August election on plan to make it harder to amend Ohio constitution
- Columbus Dispatch Photos: Ohio House votes for August special election amid protests
- Ohio to hold August election on proposal to make it harder to amend constitution
- Ohio lawmakers pass resolution to ask voters to require 60% vote to amend constitution ahead of abortion vote
- Ohio lawmakers vote to set Aug. 8 election for controversial 60% constitutional amendment proposal - cleveland.com
Register and Request your 2023 ballot! https://www.votefromabroad.org/
Check out and Share our Ohio State Team webpage: https://www.democratsabroad.org/oh-usa
- This page is full of great information such as our upcoming events, the Ohio voter guide, contact details for your legislators, how to follow important bills, and more!
HELP Wanted! As we gear up for local elections in 2023 and to defend Senator Sherrod Brown’s seat (not to mention a Presidential) in 2024, we need your help!
- Two people who can help us increase our social media outreach.
- One tech-savvy person for website tasks.
- One graphic designer.
- Two people to write content for articles and newsletters.
If this sounds like your thing, email us at [email protected]
Join our Facebook Group for Ohioans Abroad! It’s a great way to keep up with the latest Ohio news, and our events and interact with Ohioans Abroad.
Have other questions or want to get in touch? Email us at [email protected]
The DA Ohio Team