The Global Black Caucus seeks to raise the consciousness of our current and potential constituency. To that end, we are seeking our first Poet Laureate (volunteer) for the 2020 election cycle. The Poet Laureate will be selected annually for a term that lasts from January to December. Poetry selections will be featured on the GBC page of the DA website at throughout the selected Poet Laureate's term.
The person selected would:
- Create a Poetry Series to explore societal issues and the 2020 elections through poetry's focused lens to describe “truth,” or at the very least, “truths,” in our world.
- They will be called upon to write poetry on significant occasions and throughout the election season.
- Poems should also encourage people to vote, volunteer, or donate.
- It would be great if the person selected would like to make multimedia/spoken word videos or other visual media.
- Occassionally, meet with the GBC Steering Committee.
The poet must be a member of Democrats Abroad and a member of the GBC. Anyone who supports universal, unconditional human rights can join the GBC.
To submit an entry for consideration:
- Poetry can be written in any poetic style and on any subject.
- A poem must be an original work by the person entering the contest.
- Poet must be at least 18 years of age by the 2020 election.
- All poems must be in English
- Font size 11pt
- Video entries must include a text version of the poem.
Submission entries must be at least 3 but cannot exceed 26 lines (including stanza breaks) and cannot exceed 55 characters per line (including spaces between words). The poem title does not count as a line.
Submissions are due NLT September 18, 2019, PST. Please send entries to email@example.com
We will announce the Poet Laureate Selection on Oct 12, 2019, at the EMEA Conference in Athens.
Follow us on