Democrats Abroad Germany Veterans and Military Families Caucus was approved 19 February 2018. Contact Kirk Samson to join: firstname.lastname@example.org Your support of this caucus is greatly appreciated!
Upcoming Walk Outs: Kaiserslautern-Vogelweh
March 14th Student Walk Out Kaiserslautern 17 Minutes email: email@example.com
April 20th Student Walk Out Kaiserslautern All Day email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Out The Vote! Will this be the first year you are eligible to vote? Every year you are abroad, you need to register for your absentee ballot even if your local voting office always sends it to you! You wouldn't want your vote to be discarded because you were not properly registered! www.VoteFromAbroad.org
Time for discussion! ring your Hot Topics!Bring a new member!
WHEN Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 5pm
WHERE Spinnrädl Restaurant, Schillerstraße 1, Kaiserslautern 67655 Germany
Please join us to launch our Get Out The Vote initiative! The agenda will include a commemoration of the anniversary of the Women’s March plus Kirk Samson will share information about the developing Veterans and Military Families Caucus. Invite your veteran and active duty military friends to join us. Their participation would be very helpful in getting the word out about this new caucus!
Time for discussion and member concerns is also on the agenda.
WHEN Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 4pm
WHERE Spinnrädl Restaurant Schillerstraße 1 Kaiserslautern 67655 Germany
Mark your calendar for our next meeting on Monday, October 30th at 5:30 p.m. at the Spinnrädl in Kaiserslautern. Our special guest will be Will Bakker, Democrats Abroad Regional Vice Chair, from Luxembourg. Mr. Bakker, a member of the DA global executive committee will discuss DA's overall strategy and goals for 2018 -- especially helping Democrats win. In his capacity as acting-chair for the Voting Rights group, he will also discuss some of the recent Republican attacks on the franchise, including threats for overseas voters. Bring a new member! "Living abroad doesn't make you any less American. Join Democrats Abroad, vote, volunteer, and raise your voice!" If you are not a member of DA, please consider joining at http://democratsabroad.org/join. Membership is free! .
October 30, 2017 at 5:30pm
Schillerstraße 1Kaiserslautern 67655 Germany
Kaiserslautern Chapter Annual After Labor Day Picnic Saturday 9 September 2017 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Place: Beverly Brinn's house in Landstuhl (Melkerei). 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday, September 9th. When you RSVP, we will send you the specific meeting location.
Please RSVP so we can plan. We wouldn't want to run out of beverages! Please bring your favorite dish for the Potluck. We will have beverages but if you have a favorite, you might want to bring it!
If you have American friends who might like to join Democrats Abroad, please invite them to the picnic. (There are no membership dues.)
If potential members would like to sign up in advance, they can go to www.democratsabroad.org/join
"Living abroad doesn't make you any less American. Join Democrats Abroad, vote, volunteer, and raise your voice!"
Happy Labor Day! For those not going away for the Labor Day week-end, the Swinging Lautern festival with lots of free entertainment starts Thursday, August 31st at 6 p.m. at the Stiftsplatz in Kaiserslautern and runs through Saturday evening, September 2nd! A great opportunity to enjoy the local community! (and since this does not take place on U.S. government property, an opportunity to encourage some American colleagues to join Democrats Abroad!)
Upcoming event at the Atlantic Academy September 13th for those interested in learning more about the German election process: Parties, Candidates, Issues-Germany in an Election Year Wednesday, September 13, 2017 5.30—7 pm Atlantic Academy, Lauterstr. 2, 67657 Kaiserslautern Free admission This would also be another opportunity to informally share information about Democrats Abroad!
Terese Sarno Kaiserslautern Chapter Chair
Kaiserslautern Chapter Annual After Labor Day Picnic
Saturday 9 September 2017 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The picnic will take place in Landstuhl at Beverly Brinn's house.
Bring your favorite dish for the Pot Luck. Any volunteers to take charge of grilling?
Join us in increasing membership-Invite a friend to the picnic!
Kaiserslautern Chapter Chair
Making America Great Again
Well...maybe not great...yet...but much of this is positive and truly happening...and we all need a little optimism these days
Looks like Trump is actually making America great again! Just look at the progress made since the election:
1. Unprecedented levels of ongoing civic engagement.
2. Millions of Americans now know who their state and federal representatives are without having to use Google.
3. Millions of Americans are exercising more. They're holding signs and marching every week.
4. Alec Baldwin is great again. Everyone's forgotten he's kind of a jerk.
5. The Postal Service is enjoying the influx cash due to stamps purchased by millions of people for letter and postcard campaigns.
6. Likewise, the pharmaceutical industry is enjoying record growth in sales of anti-depressants.
7. Millions of Americans now know how to call their elected officials and know exactly what to say to be effective.
8. Footage of town hall meetings is now entertaining.
9. Tens of millions of people are now correctly spelling words like emoluments, narcissist, fascist, misogynist, holocaust, and cognitive dissonance.
10. Everyone knows more about the rise of Hitler than they did last year.
11. Everyone knows more about legislation, branches of power, and how checks and balances work.
12. Marginalized groups are experiencing a surge in white allies.
13. White people in record numbers have just learned that racism is not dead. (See #6)
14. White people in record numbers also finally understand that Obamacare IS the Affordable Care Act.
15. Stephen Colbert's "Late Night" finally gained the elusive #1 spot in late night talk shows, and Seth Meyers is finding his footing as today's Jon Stewart.
16. "Mike Pence" has cause millions of dollars to be donated to Planned Parenthood since Nov. 9th.
17. Melissa FREAKING McCarthy.
18. Travel ban protesters put $24 million into ACLU coffers in just 48 hours, enabling them to hire 200 more attorneys. Lawyers are now heroes.
19. As people seek veracity in their news sources, respected news outlets are happily reporting a substantial increase in subscriptions, a boon to a struggling industry vital to our democracy.
20. Live streaming court cases and congressional sessions are now as popular as the Kardashians.
21. Massive cleanup of Facebook friend lists.
22. People are reading classic literature again. Sales of George Orwell's "1984" increased by 10,000% after the inauguration. (Yes, that is true. 10,000%. 9th grade Lit teachers all over the country are now rock stars.)
23. More than ever before, Americans are aware that education is important. Like, super important. Like very,very, very important, "Believe Me".
24. Now, more than anytime in history, everyone believes that anyone can be President. Seriously.......anyone!
Welcome to Democrats Abroad Kaiserslautern!
DA Kaiserslautern is a chapter of DA Germany, the official country committee for US Democrats living in Germany. Watch this space for upcoming announcements of meetings and events - we have events planned throughout the year, and encourage anyone interested in participating to get in touch.
If you have questions or would like to help with Democrats Abroad in Kaiserslautern, please contact us.
Terese Sarno, Chapter Chair
Democrats Abroad Germany - Kaiserslautern Chapter