"Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year; it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.”
At the 2021 DPCA Annual Global Meeting in May, Democrats Abroad adopted Resolution #1 - Rename the Historic Edmund Pettus Bridge for Congressman John R. Lewis. From this resolution, the Democrats Abroad John Lewis Global Voting Rights Day action committee was formed. Together we have planned a series of events and actions in July to celebrate the life and work of the late Georgia Congressman and Civil Rights leader, John Lewis. Often described as the conscience of the Congress, he was a friend to Democrats Abroad. July 17th marks the first anniversary of his passing and the first annual John Lewis Global Voting Rights Day.
John Lewis Global Voting Rights Day Forum
Saturday, 17 July at 10 am EDT/ 4 pm CEST
Guests will include Doug Jones, former Senator from Alabama; Chantele Wong, Congressman Lewis’ photographer in the last years of his life; and more.
Together we will hear from the experts about the threats to voting rights and what we can do about them. We will also take action by reaching out to our representatives by contacting them directly to thank them for the work they have done and ask them to go further to pass crucial legislation to protect voting rights and save our democracy.
Take a look at Chantele Wong’s Photography:
- My time with John Lewis
- Walking in the Footsteps of Giants: Reflections on a Civil Rights Pilgrimage
- As long as the filibuster exists in its current form, none of the legislation which will save our democracy and make the lives of our people better will be turned into law.
- Take a look to see, in their own words, where your Senators stand on eliminating the filibuster. If they’re on the fence, give them a call using our tool below. The more they hear from people about how important this is, they are more likely to reconsider where they stand. https://votesaveamerica.com/forthepeople/
- Watch our Voting Rights video playlist will get you up to speed on the status of voting rights and democracy in America in less than 50 minutes. There are videos on voter suppression, the filibuster, Senators Manchin and Sinema positions, and more. Voting Right Playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLloabNaW9u0KPlUBkyqGp0yLrjtNe88SR
Here are a few articles on the latest news on voting rights:
- Joe Manchin Why I'm voting against the For the People Act published in the Charleston Gazette-Mail
- Breaking News: The Supreme Court Just Mangled the Voting Rights Act Beyond Recognition
- Kagan rips colleagues in blistering 41-page voting rights dissent
- 2 out of 3 Americans believe U.S. democracy is under threat
Please share this information with your friends and family and on social media. Everyone needs to know this information.
The U.S. Senate must pass the For the People Act (S. 1/H.R. 1) and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act. No matter where your Senators stand on the filibuster, please call or write your senators. The American people are tired of a government that serves only the wealthy and corporate interests. We’ve seen how our democracy and the power of the American people have continued to diminish each and every day.
If Americans are ever going to see progress on the policy issues we care about, we must have a democracy that responds to the needs and priorities of voters – not wealthy donors and corporate interests.
The U.S. House passed the For the People Act in March, and now, to make the promise of democracy real for all of us, the U.S. Senate must swiftly pass the bill. If passed, the For the People Act would get big money out of politics, ensure our freedom to vote, and guarantee that congressional districts are drawn to give fair representation for all. Call or write your Senator TODAY to urge them to support the For the People Act. Thank them if they’ve supported the bill.
You can find sample scripts and tools to contact your Senators here.
Help support the work of Democrats Abroad getting out the vote in the 2022 Elections.
We need Democrats like you to commit to Democrats Abroad - your Democratic Party for overseas Americans. Contribute to Democrats Abroad today and help us register Americans all over the world for the 2021 and 2022 elections, reach out on issues that concern you, and build a brighter future for our country and the world. With your help, we can make a difference. We did it all over the country in 2018! And we MADE the difference in 2020! And in Georgia in 2021! And we will continue to fight for Democratic victories and for issues that our members care about!