Please see below a job posting for a paid position with Democrats Abroad, funded by the Democratic National Committee.
VOTER PROTECTION OFFICER
About the Position
Democrats Abroad represents Democrats who live outside of the United States. With almost 200,000 members, it is the largest organization of overseas Americans in the world. Its main task is to mobilize Americans abroad to vote for Democratic candidates. It assists voters in registering and requesting ballots from their state election offices – directing potential voters to its proprietary website www.votefromabroad.org. An estimated 700,000 non-military overseas Americans cast votes in the 2020 election – an increase of over 60% compared with 2016. Overseas voters were the margin of victory for Joe Biden in Georgia and Arizona, and Democrats Abroad is determined to continue delivering scale-tipping votes in races across the United States in 2022.
The Voter Protection Officer (VPO) will play a critical role in achieving this aim by helping to enable and ensure the ability of overseas Americans to register to vote and to receive their ballots in a timely manner and to have their ballots received and counted. Federal Laws (UOCAVA and the MOVE Act of 2009) guarantee the right of every American living overseas the right to vote, but this right is often impeded or suppressed by State and Local Election Offices (LEOs) in the 50 states which are largely responsible for overseeing compliance with relevant voting laws. Republican attempts to suppress the vote often impact overseas voters as well.
The VPO will work with the leadership of Democrats Abroad, its GOTV Team, and the various DA “State Teams” as well as with voter protection officers in the Democratic National Committee and state Democratic Parties to preserve and expand voting rights of overseas Americans.
- Be responsible for monitoring legislation in different states to identify threats to rights and abilities of overseas Americans to vote.
- Serve as primary point person for giving advice as to how to address
- Develop team among DA State Teams and other volunteers to act as Voter Protection Team to help respond to problems identified by overseas Americans in voting.
- Coordinate activities of the Voter Protection Team – responding to problems, contacting State and Local Election Offices.
- Coordinating voter protection activities of DA with DNC and State Democratic Parties – act as liaison with other voter protection efforts. Establish contact and relationships between “State Team” voter protection volunteers and those of relevant State Democratic Party.
- Serve as DA point of contact in any necessary legal actions initiated to protect the overseas vote.
- Report to DA International Executive Committee as requested on a regular basis (at least every month)
Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to helping DA, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed.
- Experience with and knowledge of voter protection activities, preferably in more than one state.
- Law degree preferred
- Ability to work with team members in multiple time zones.
- Ability to become familiar on an accelerated basis with laws and regulations governing voting by overseas Americans.
- Experience in working with teams of volunteers.
Estimated Time Commitment: 40-50 hours per week, with the understanding that this will likely increase during peak election months (August-November 2022)
Language: English; written and spoken working proficiency in at least one other language advantageous
Start Date: 1st Half July 2022
End Date: January 2023 with possible extension
Compensation: $6,000 per month, as self-employed consultant.
Applications: Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please indicate the position in which you are interested.
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.
Art Schankler published Art Schankler, DNC Member - EMEA or Global in 2020-2024 DNC Candidate Statements 2020-05-14 15:42:59 -0400
I’m a dedicated Democrat and a dedicated Democrat Abroad. I’ve served as a Country Chair (Czech Republic), International Treasurer, International Vice Chair and now head of the Fundraising Committee. Believe me, I don’t like asking people for money, but I do it because I believe in our organization and our mission – to elect Democrats and support issues that are important to Democrats and Democrats Abroad. I want to help that mission by becoming a DNC member. It’s for others to judge, but I think I have the experience, the temperament, and the judgment to do a good job and help us get the support from the DNC and the rest of the Democratic Party that we need. In the photo above, I'm the one on the right. And it's not an endorsement by Bernie - or by me. Just one of my favorite moments in DA.