Medicare and Americans Abroad
Join us on February 19th for a practical explanation of what Medicare is, how it is funded, to whom it is available and the nature of coverage it does or can include. Find out what kind of decisions you will have to make – either now or in the future – and how these decisions and programs can significantly impact your future financial and insurance coverage situation. These decisions are important for people with disabilities and seniors, but knowing what is coming is important for all Americans overseas – whether you plan to stay abroad or move back to the US.
Our panelists are Democrats Abroad members and Americans living abroad who are working on legislation to better the opportunities of Americans abroad and who will share their knowledge, experience and plans for the future with you. Please note that this panel will give neither financial advice nor expert opinion on individual situations. The webinar will be recorded, and all the documents presented in this webinar will be sent to anyone who RSVPS for the event.
Heather Stone, Chair Medicare Medical Portability Task Force
Philippe Blumenthal, CEO of the Government Savings Institute
Toni Kamins, Medicare Medical Portability Task Force and Chair of GSC Medicare Part B Committee
This event is co-hosted by DA's Global Seniors Caucus, Medical Portability Task Force, and Global Disability Caucus.
LOCATION LOCAL TIME Vancouver, CA 5:30 AM Washington DC 8:30 AM London, UK 1:30 PM Berlin, Germany 2:30 PM Tel Aviv, IL 3:30 PM Nairobi KE 4:30 PM Mumbai, IN 7:00 PM Beijing, CN 9:30 PM Tokyo, JP 10:30 PMWHENFebruary 19, 2023 at 8:30am
About Democrats Abroad
Democrats Abroad is the official Democratic Party arm for the nine million U.S. citizens living outside the United States. We strive to provide U.S. citizens abroad a democratic voice in our government and elect Democratic candidates by mobilizing the overseas vote.
Democrats Abroad has 48 country committees throughout Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Oceania. These country committees keep Americans abroad informed of their rights and help them participate in the U.S. political process. Our members live in more than 200 countries around the globe and vote in every state and Congressional district in the United States.
About the Voter Protection Director Position
Democrats Abroad is seeking a talented, dedicated professional to spearhead a voter protection program for U.S. citizens who vote from outside of the United States. The Voter Protection Director will refine and execute a voter protection plan for the 2022 midterm elections as well as lead a team of volunteer legal specialists – with the overarching goal of ensuring that every U.S. citizen abroad can and does exercise their fundamental right to vote.
The Voter Protection Director will work closely with the Democrats Abroad International Chair, Executive Committee, and volunteer teams to ensure cross departmental efficiency within Democrats Abroad. Externally, the Voter Protection Director will work with numerous Democratic state parties, the Democratic National Committee, election officials, and campaigns across the United States.
- Refine and execute a comprehensive voter protection program to identity and triage voting issues impacting U.S. citizens abroad
- See that inquiries from U.S. citizens abroad who face challenges casting their ballots are promptly addressed and systematically documented
- Build relationships with election officials and Democratic state parties to lead strategies for expanding access and combating intrusions to voting from abroad
- Monitor for legislative and/or regulatory changes impacting U.S. citizens’ ability to vote from abroad
- Intensely and regularly evaluate overseas voting procedures to structure Democrats Abroad’s voter protection program in a way that maximizes voter turnout and minimizes rejected ballots
- Regularly conduct trainings on best practices for overseas voter protection strategies and processes
- Build and lead a team of volunteer legal specialists
Skills & Qualifications
- Deep familiarity with overseas voting laws, procedures, obstacles, and opportunities
- Experience with and knowledge of voter protection programs, preferably in more than one U.S. state or territory
- Juris Doctor or comparable degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in political organizing and/or voter protection
- Previous experience leading volunteer teams
- Confident user of Google Workspace and online video call platforms
- Ability to work in a global setting, with team members in multiple time zones
- U.S. citizenship (dual-citizen applications welcome)
- Commitment to helping Democrats Abroad, the Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates succeed
- Experience living outside of the United States advantageous
- Proficiency in NationBuilder, VoteBuilder, or VAN advantageous
Travel required: No
Time committment: Full-time
Reports to: Democrats Abroad International Chair and Executive Committee
Language: English; written and spoken working proficiency in at least one other language advantageous
Earliest Start Date: July 2022
End Date: December 2022, with possibility of extension
Salary: $6,000 USD/month
Applications: Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] and indicate the position name in the subject line.
Democrats Abroad is committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, with opportunities to provide and the ability to take feedback and learn. It is our policy to recruit, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, pregnancy, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity, disability, or any other legally protected basis.
Art Schankler published Art Schankler, DNC Member - EMEA or Global in 2020-2024 DNC Candidate Statements 2020-05-14 15:42:59 -0400
I’m a dedicated Democrat and a dedicated Democrat Abroad. I’ve served as a Country Chair (Czech Republic), International Treasurer, International Vice Chair and now head of the Fundraising Committee. Believe me, I don’t like asking people for money, but I do it because I believe in our organization and our mission – to elect Democrats and support issues that are important to Democrats and Democrats Abroad. I want to help that mission by becoming a DNC member. It’s for others to judge, but I think I have the experience, the temperament, and the judgment to do a good job and help us get the support from the DNC and the rest of the Democratic Party that we need. In the photo above, I'm the one on the right. And it's not an endorsement by Bernie - or by me. Just one of my favorite moments in DA.