Welcome to Democrats Abroad Victoria!
DA Victoria and the Islands (DAVI) is a chapter of DA Canada, the official country committee for US Democrats living in Canada.
We reach out to US citizens to encourage them to vote in US elections by helping them register to vote and keeping them informed on issues important to all of us. We also have lots of opportunities for anyone who wants to volunteer to help with our Get Out the Vote efforts!
In 2016, 23% of Americans living abroad did not vote due to feeling disengaged with the U.S. and their local communities. The world is engaged watching the tragic way COVID has been handled and with the scenes of racial injustice happening on the streets of the U.S. - it is not an acceptable response in 2020 to say you're disengaged!
- If you file your 1040s, FBARs & FATCAs with the IRS but don't exercise your constitutional right to vote, you are agreeing to taxation without representation.
- If you want to put an end to Citizenship Based Taxation, it's going to take your vote to retain the House and secure the Senate.
- If you vote from NY stop presuming your vote isn't needed - how often has the NY State Assembly been controlled by the R's?
- If you wish to see racial & social justice in our communities you must vote as far down-ballot as permissible.
- If all registered Florida voters living in Canada in 2000 had voted, they could've changed the outcome of the election.
Hundreds of American citizen volunteers across Canada are working to educate all eligible U.S. voters on their right to vote and how to get their ballots to vote in every election. That includes Canadians who were born in the U.S. and those born in Canada to an American parent(s), who therefore have the right to vote. Americans living in Canada CAN deliver the difference in close elections.
Go to VoteFromAbroad.org today to register for your ballot.
Past DAVI events include the Women's Marches at Centennial Square, Tax Seminars, Fourth of July parties, Thanksgiving dinners, Election and Debate Watch parties, voter registration events, and pub meet-ups.
We also post voter and event information as well as current political news on social media. Please follow our Facebook page and SHARE the information!
If you have questions or would like to help with Democrats Abroad in Victoria and the Islands, please contact us.
Giles Hogya, Chapter Chair
Democrats Abroad - Victoria