Submitting your sealed ballot to the U.S. Consulate: We'd be happy to accept your sealed voting ballot! Once it is received, we will send it to election officials via diplomatic pouch. Please note that it may be faster for you to mail your ballot directly to election officials using the appropriate postage and the fastest method of mailing available.Read more
Democrats Abroad Calgary
Minutes of AGM
April 2, 2020
Location: Via “UberConference”
Attending: Jim Davis, Dean Kasner, Jane Perry, Matt Heller
Minutes taken by Chapter Secretary, Dean Kasner
Agenda: Discuss 2019 Chapter Meetings and events
Meeting called to order at 6:05pm.
Agenda for meeting approved.
Approval of minutes from our last AGM meeting. Minutes approved by Jim and seconded by Dean
Jim started meeting with a brief description of the meeting agenda. He gave an overview of the 2019 events and corresponding dates, including:
1) Recap of the 2019 AGM, and the announcement that Sheryl Jeffery had assumed the vice chair position.
2) Four pub nights/debate watches,
3) Fourth of July week Barbecue at Edworthy Park for the Calgary Chapter
4) On going planning for our 2020 Presidential Primary voting Centre and watch party.
AGM portion of meeting adjourned at 6:35p
Discussion of 2020 ideas followed.
Welcome to Democrats Abroad Calgary!
DA Calgary is a chapter of DA Canada, the official country committee for US Democrats living in Canada. Calgary has a vast multitude of US expats and extended stay workers. Here at Democrats Abroad we seek to bring together all who wish to stay engaged in their American right to vote, always of importance but now more than ever.
We sponsor fun and informative events to bring like minded people together for support, sharing and solid information.
In 2016, 23% of Americans living abroad did not vote due to feeling disengaged with the U.S. and their local communities. The world is engaged watching the tragic way COVID has been handled and with the scenes of racial injustice happening on the streets of the U.S. - it is not an acceptable response in 2020 to say you're disengaged!
- If you file your 1040s, FBARs & FATCAs with the IRS but don't exercise your constitutional right to vote, you are agreeing to taxation without representation.
- If you want to put an end to Citizenship Based Taxation, it's going to take your vote to retain the House and secure the Senate.
- If you vote from NY stop presuming your vote isn't needed - how often has the NY State Assembly been controlled by the R's?
- If you wish to see racial & social justice in our communities you must vote as far down-ballot as permissible.
- If all registered Florida voters living in Canada in 2000 had voted, they could've changed the outcome of the election.
Hundreds of American citizen volunteers across Canada are working to educate all eligible U.S. voters on their right to vote and how to get their ballots to vote in every election. That includes Canadians who were born in the U.S. and those born in Canada to an American parent(s), who therefore have the right to vote. Americans living in Canada CAN deliver the difference in close elections.
Go to VoteFromAbroad.org today to register for your ballot.
If you have questions or would like to help with Democrats Abroad in Calgary, please contact us.
Jim Davis, Chapter Chair
Democrats Abroad Calgary