Medicare and Americans Abroad
Join us on February 19th for a practical explanation of what Medicare is, how it is funded, to whom it is available and the nature of coverage it does or can include. Find out what kind of decisions you will have to make – either now or in the future – and how these decisions and programs can significantly impact your future financial and insurance coverage situation. These decisions are important for people with disabilities and seniors, but knowing what is coming is important for all Americans overseas – whether you plan to stay abroad or move back to the US.
Our panelists are Democrats Abroad members and Americans living abroad who are working on legislation to better the opportunities of Americans abroad and who will share their knowledge, experience and plans for the future with you. Please note that this panel will give neither financial advice nor expert opinion on individual situations. The webinar will be recorded, and all the documents presented in this webinar will be sent to anyone who RSVPS for the event.
Heather Stone, Chair Medicare Medical Portability Task Force
Philippe Blumenthal, CEO of the Government Savings Institute
Toni Kamins, Medicare Medical Portability Task Force and Chair of GSC Medicare Part B Committee
This event is co-hosted by DA's Global Seniors Caucus, Medical Portability Task Force, and Global Disability Caucus.
LOCATION LOCAL TIME Vancouver, CA 5:30 AM Washington DC 8:30 AM London, UK 1:30 PM Berlin, Germany 2:30 PM Tel Aviv, IL 3:30 PM Nairobi KE 4:30 PM Mumbai, IN 7:00 PM Beijing, CN 9:30 PM Tokyo, JP 10:30 PM
DA Mexico | Zoom | Mon, Feb 20 @ 4 pm
Mark Your Calendar. One of our most popular, FREE speaker topics!
More details to come.
The GWC Reproductive Justice Team is launching a project to promote voter registration under the theme Reproductive Justice for ALL.
As you certainly know, the rights of all women to choose when and if to start a family are being taken away with over 26 States prohibiting or restricting the right to abortion during the first trimester of pregnancy even in the cases of rape, incest and the mother’s and/or the fetus’ health. Texas has empowered vigilantes to sue everyone and anyone aiding and abetting abortion once the fetal heartbeat can be heard (eg at approximately 6 weeks and before most women know they are pregnant).
We cannot allow this to continue particularly with Roe v Wade in peril and the Women’s Health Protection Act stuck in the Senate.
Our project is a video launch via YouTube. We are asking all DA members to make a short (60 sec) video explaining why the right to abortion is absolutely necessary. If you come from a State where it is practically impossible to obtain an abortion, you can speak about the discrimination against minority and poor women whose lives are in jeopardy and who cannot travel. If you come from “good States” such as MA, CA, NY for example, you can speak to the injustice of access depending upon where you live. Make sure you mention in the video VotefromAbroad.org for expat voter registration and vote.gov for non expat voter registration.
We believe that many of our voters will be motivated to register when we roll out the videos.
Here are a few subjects that you could choose for your video:
- If you live/vote in a country that has “good” reproductive freedom laws, you could refer to the country and the liberal law(s) and how lucky you are to be in that country and how unfair it is for American women LIVING IN THE US who can’t benefit from such laws
- If you live/vote in a US State that has good reproductive freedom laws, see above. And you can say that living in a “bad” State is discriminatory since women in “good “US States have rights that you are denied.
- You can share a personal experience. You don’t have to use your name or even mention where you live. The videos will be anonymous unless you do give details.
- You can make a statement about women should have the right to control their bodies. Period. There is no justification for the government to decide when, how or even if women should have children.
If you can’t think of anything to say but still want to make a video, feel free to contact Salli at [email protected]. She will set up a call and walk you through some ideas and we can help you make the video.
Here is a link on how to make a video:
For more information, visit our blog space here:
All videos should be sent to Salli Swartz at [email protected]
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN
Disclaimer: By submitting your video, you grant to Democrats Abroad a nonexclusive rights to use your video and your image only for the 2022 GWC Reproductive Justice Get Out the Vote video project.
You therefore hereby waive all rights to any claims arising out of or in connection with Democrats Abroad GWC’s use of your video and image in connection with the 2022 Reproductive Justice video project.
Experience comes in all ages! Join other Dems at the February Meeting of Democrats Abroad Austria's Experienced Democrats.
DA Denmark Book Club Discussion of The Fire Is Upon Us by Nicholas Buccola and screening of the 1965 James Baldwin/William F. Buckley, Jr. Debate
DA Denmark Book Club invites you to join us online on February 21 at 6:30 pm for this month's event. We will begin the evening with a viewing of the historic 1965 debate between American intellectuals, James Baldwin and William F. Buckly, Jr. and then follow with our discussion The Fire Is Upon Us: James Baldwin, William F. Buckley, Jr., and the Debate over Race in America by Nicholas Buccola, which explores the history of these two men, the backstory to the debate, and how their clash that evening continues to illuminate the racial divide in America today.
RSVP below to receive the Zoom link.
Please join us for a conversation with Lotte Lieb Dula and Briayna Cuffie, creators of reparations4slavery.com, as we explore different aspects of the movement for reparations for slavery. We’ll look at the genesis of white wealth in parallel with the historical harms that resulted from the enslavement of African Americans, creating the current 10-to-1 racial wealth gap, using Lotte’s and Briayna’s ancestral narratives as the backdrop for our conversation. We’ll also look at retooling harmful family narratives that uphold the culture of white supremacy. Includes brief Q and A session.
Lotte Lieb Dula: After discovering that she was a descendant of slaveholders Lotte Lieb Dula, retired financial strategist, founded www.reparations4slavery.com, a portal for white families wishing to walk the path of racial healing through making reparations. Lotte co-convenes Coming To the Table’s Denver Chapter and is a founding donor of Reparations Circle Denver.
Briayna Cuffie is a strategist, advocate, and future author based in Annapolis, Maryland. She leverages her political expertise, teachings from her elders, and history, to help others understand the complexity of Blackness in the United States. Briayna is involved with Coming To the Table’s Annapolis chapter and is the racial equity advisor for reparations4slavery.com
Join Democrats Abroad UK (DAUK) for this special hybrid (in-person and online) event to discuss the basics of US tax filing requirements for Americans living in the UK. The aim of this event is to educate you on your basic tax filing obligations and commonly asked tax questions such as:
- When is the tax filing deadline for Americans living outside the US?
- How much do I need to earn to file?
- Can I open a UK pension as a US citizen?
- Do I have to pay capital gains tax to the IRS when I sell my UK home?
- How much do I have to earn in order to be double taxed?
- Do I get double taxed if I'm self-employed in the UK or have a UK Limited Company?
This event is for you if:
- you just moved to the UK from the US and you're unsure of your tax obligations
- you haven't filed for decades
- you're scared to face your tax filing obligation or don't know what questions to ask to get started
- you've filed for years but you're not sure if you're doing it right, or
- you've filed every year but you've wanted a straightforward answer for a specific issue
- 6:30pm Doors open
- 7:00pm Start and introductions
- 7:10pm Speaker presentations
- 7:45pm Panel discussion
- 8:00pm Q&A
- 8:30pm Networking with speakers
- 9:00pm End
Attendees are asked to please pre-submit any questions you have by emailing [email protected]. The more questions we get in advance, the better we can prepare and shape the program around the things you want to learn about the most!
The fine print:
- No refunds are available.
- In-person seating is limited in capacity so please only purchase an in-person ticket if you are able to attend. Otherwise, please purchase a webinar ticket.
- If you have booked an in-person ticket and can no longer attend in-person, you can transfer your ticket to attend online or to receive the recording. In this case, please email [email protected] to request a ticket transfer. You must do this at least 24 hours in advance as in-person seating capacity is limited and there could be a waitlist for in-person tickets.
- For those unable to attend in person or online on this date, you have the option to purchase an on-demand ticket to view the recording after the event takes place.
- For those attending in person, no food or drink will be served. You are welcome to bring a bottle of water for your own personal consumption. Please eat before arriving. Food is not allowed inside the lecture theatre.
- We can't guarantee we will be able to answer all questions submitted before, during, or after the event, but we will try to answer as many questions as possible. Speakers are encouraged to network with attendees after the panel discussion but, we can't guarantee you will be able to meet with specific speakers.
- Democrats Abroad UK follows LSE's on-campus COVID measures for this event.
- This event is closed to the press.
Please email [email protected] to be added to the mailing list to keep up to date with events and actions from the DAUK Tax Committee.
Disclaimer: Democrats Abroad UK cannot provide individual tax advice. We are not tax lawyers, accountants or advisers. Please consult a professional tax adviser/accountant/return preparer when addressing your personal tax matters.
We recommend the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find a service provider who meets your needs and budget, though buyers need always beware. Democrats Abroad UK suggests Americans abroad in need of tax advice consult the IRS Tax Return Preparer Directory to find an advisor or tax return preparer near you or providing online services: https://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf
Join us for our DA Ireland Tax Seminar hosted by members of the DA Global Taxation Task Force!
Link to Zoom Meeting Below:
Topic: DA Ireland Tax Information Session
Time: Feb 21, 2023 07:30 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 891 8690 2951
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,89186902951#,,,,*709023# US (Washington DC)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 305 224 1968 US
+1 309 205 3325 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 360 209 5623 US
+1 386 347 5053 US
+1 507 473 4847 US
+1 564 217 2000 US
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 646 931 3860 US
+1 669 444 9171 US
+1 689 278 1000 US
+1 719 359 4580 US
+1 720 707 2699 US (Denver)
+1 253 205 0468 US
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 891 8690 2951
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kdIoIA6Qkb
Brazilian journalist and activist Bruno Toledo will be joining us to discuss the recent regime change in Brazil and how this is vital to the health of the Amazon, the planet, and the future of democracy in the region.
RSVP to receive the Zoom link to join the cafe.
Location Local Start Time Vancouver, Canada 07:00 PST Washington DC, USA 10:00 EST Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 12:00 BRT London, United Kingdom 15:00 GMT Paris, France 16:00 CET Dubai, United Arab Emirates 19:00 GST New Delhi, India 20:30 IST Beijing, China 23:00 CST