We have lots of interesting opportunities for you to work on globally. Below are a few requests our global teams have.
Global teamwork is all online. If you are used to working in a virtual environment, and are a good team player, these are great roles for you.
Global Communications Director
Democrats Abroad, the world’s largest organization for Americans outside the US and the official global arm of the Democratic Party, is currently looking for a communications expert to jump in and help us drive our efforts through the 2020 general election and beyond.
Democrats Abroad is an entirely volunteer organization, so the role is unpaid, but very rewarding. You will be working closely with the global chair of Democrats Abroad, the global executive committee, as well as volunteers around the world, to help turn America blue and ensure that our elected officials represent the interests of their constituents abroad. You will host phone calls with leaders of the Democratic party, you will manage social media content, you will create and edit content for the Democrats Abroad website, and you will help to educate the community of hundreds of Democrats Abroad leaders around the world to better understand communications best practices for the organization.
As an experienced communication professional, you will build up a team of volunteers, but you are willing to do the work as well as delegate.
- Drive internal and external communications, from strategic planning and production to distribution and measurement
- Messaging: Work closely with the global chair of Democrats Abroad to coordinate on all messaging, priorities, initiatives and campaigns
- Web/Email: Develop website and email content to draw in new users and encourage repeat visitors
- Press: Drive global media outreach, including writing and/or editing press releases, leadership statements, commentary, and talking points that reflect DA's perspective on current events
- Social: Create social media content and serve as community manager; monitor country and caucus-level social media content and address any questions or concerns
- Branding and Standards: Serve as brand guardian for Democrats Abroad, and create and maintain policies for Democrats Abroad communications
- Insights: Monitor trends and best practices on social media, web content, and other areas of communications
- Leadership: Build up a team of volunteers and represent the interests of Democrats Abroad when coordinating with candidates, party officials, and leaders of partner organizations
- Training: Empower country committees to deliver local communications, through continuous training and marketing consultation, guidelines, templates, and best practices on topics such as content marketing and storytelling, social media, and press relations
- Coordination: Guide communications across internal stakeholders (global executive committee, task forces, caucuses, party leaders and 50+ country committees), both in long-term activities and as rapid response for urgent activations
- Additional: Native English language (both written and spoken) is required. Additional languages, paid advertising campaign management and/or design experience a plus
This is an especially important time in Democrats Abroad’s history. We expect our numbers to double between now and November 2020. Global media will be paying attention. Voters will need answers. Americans who don’t know that they can vote this year will need to learn. We’re looking for the right person to take on this exciting opportunity, who’s willing to get their hands dirty and work to help save American democracy.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Global Director Position
The design team provides graphic. copy and design solutions for Democrats Abroad leaders, caucuses, country & global committees. We are looking for a hardworking design volunteer with an eye for details & a willingness to roll up his/her sleeves and help out with small but IMPORTANT production projects including assisting with 'clean up' of on-line archives, developing on-line assets library and day-to-day production request - business cards, posters, etc.
Time commitment: Dependent on workflow and your own schedule.
- 1+ year of real-world design experience or demonstrable understanding of design principles.
- Professional, enthusiastic & flexible
- Passionate for engaging Americans living abroad in advancing the Democratic agenda, strengthening the Democratic Party, and winning elections.
- Understanding of professional print and web design standards.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite with personal access to software
GOTV (Get Out The Vote) Team
Multiple projects are currently underway that could use your help!
Phonebanking: Make calls to potential voters abroad is one of the most important volunteer jobs you can do. Most Americans abroad aren't called in an election even once (those back home are called hundreds of times). If you have a good internet connection and are looking for a way to hold onto the House, flip the Senate, and take back the White House. Please head to our phonebanking page and get started!
Feedback for updating training materials: Review current phonebanking and voter registration training materials and provide feedback to make them easier to volunteers to use. Estimate: 2-3 hours to review the materials for each type of training and provide feedback.
Feedback re: emails and notices to state voters re upcoming elections: Review current templates for emails to state voters and provide feedback on ways to make the wording and layout easier for readers to understand. Estimated time: 2-3 hours to review the materials and provide feedback.
Social media posts (eg, FB and twitter) re: voting info: Similar to the emails, but need to customize the messaging for social media by reducing the language and adding graphics. Any background in graphics editing would be a real plus. Estimated time: Ongoing; with more hours required as major elections occur
Voter registration events and outreach: Your local Democrats Abroad Chapter will be setting up voter registration events for the 2020 Elections. It’s our best way to personally reach out to US citizens to help them figure out what they need to do to vote from abroad. You can find training materials at: www.democratsabroad.org/new_voter_registration_training. And if you haven't done so already, please get in touch with your local Democrats Abroad Chapter to learn about volunteering for local GOTV events. You can find contact information at: www.democratsabroad.org/countries.
Taxation Task Force
Multiple projects are currently underway that could use your help!
Research: document information about members of Congress relevant to tax advocacy
Graphic Design: Create a tax advocacy pamphlet for Country Committees and Local Chapters; create a new poster for our Americans Abroad advocacy issues; update our tax advocacy materials
Communications: Advise on a press and digital media outreach strategy in coordination with the Communications Team
The Communications team is looking for a SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER for global Democrats Abroad social pages.
Time commitment: 1 hour on-boarding; Weekly: 1 hour for weekly Comms meeting; 2hrs /week for content planning and community management (volunteers rotate per day when it comes to managing content and comments on our global Facebook channel).
Skill set: Experience in Facebook content and community management, tailoring posts for targeted audiences, and understanding basic social analytics and optimizing based on those analytics. Added advantage if you have basic design or experience managing paid digital campaigns. In the interest of diversifying our voices, preference is for the volunteer for this role to be based in the Americas or Asia, although volunteers from EMEA outside our largest country committees would also be considered.
IT liaisons for global teams
The technology team needs volunteers to serve as IT liaisons for several of our global teams.
Time commitment: 5 to 10 hours training, then 2-5 hours per week.
Skill set: Comfortable working with content management software at a configuration level. No coding required. Need to be a good team player, accustomed to working in a virtual global environment. Fill in this survey to apply.
Study Abroad Outreach Team
The study abroad outreach team is looking for volunteers to help with contacting (by phone and email) study abroad programs and coordinating outreach to students leading up to the elections. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Time commitment minimum 1-2 hours per week.
Global Black Caucus
The Global Black Caucus is looking for a Communications Lead for our team to work on our Facebook page, write a monthly news article, and handle media inquiries.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Researchers to compile progressive candidate lists
- Writers to promote candidates and promote progressive issues
- Project managers - progressive book club, speaker series, issue campaigns (campaign finance reform, Democratic Party reform, and more)
- Media person for our global letters to the editor campaign for healthcare
- IT support
- Phonebankers - with enough ProDA phoners we could do call campaigns for progressive candidates. Sign up on DA’s phonebanking page.
- Complete our action survey to volunteer with ProDA. Or email email@example.com
Join ProDA here: https://www.democratsabroad.org/pc
Communications Lead + IT liaison
We NEED Volunteers! We especially need people with journalistic skills to help us write original, motivating articles about our women candidates, and to interview our DA women in Latin America. More details below:
- News team members to assist the GWC in writing and gathering content for monthly and quarterly newsletters.
Skills required are curiosity, web/internet and writing skills. Team Player. Time required: 10 hours a month.
- A dedicated IT person to help develop our webpage area and give the co-chairs technical assistance. Time required: 8 hours a month.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.