Martha McDevitt Pugh rsvped for Webinar: Ain´t Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Round: Black Women and Activism 2018-03-18 16:12:20 -0400
Women's History Month is the designated month worldwide that highlights contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society. Join the GBC for our Women's History Month webinar "Black Women and Activism". Nicole Pearson, from our Madrid, Spain chapter, reprises and expands the presentation she gave at this years EMEA conference.
About the webinar: Black Women and Activism - Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Round: In her rousing Golden Globes call to action Oprah Winfrey touched on the often overlooked aspect of Black female political engagement. By telling the story of Recy Taylor she rightly places that activism in its proper context, the brutal sexual violence they faced in the Jim Crow south. By sharing Taylor's story she highlights black women´s consistent and organized resistance to that sexual terrorism. But even as Oprah tells us about Rosa Parks´ work as an anti-sexual violence activist, she neglects to explain the reason and driving force behind the Montgomery Bus boycott. That boycott was mass action planned, organized and executed by Black women in response to the sexual harassment and abuse they experienced on the buses. While men where the face of the Civil Rights movement, the majority of workers and organizers were black women. Come join me this Sunday as we set the record straight by highlighting the integral role black women have played and continue to play in US politics and how that activism was sparked by their courageous and healing response to sexualized violence. From Fannie Lou Hamer to Patrisse Khan Cullors come learn the names and stories of these amazing women and how their lessons can help us move the political conversation from hate towards healing and justice.
About the speaker: Nicole Pearson is an activist, writer, teacher and entrepreneur who moved to Spain to study flamenco dance. Born in New York City, raised in Anchorage, Alaska Nicole studied African American studies at Howard University with focus on African American political movements from slavery to the present. She currently helms a wine and travel business, Nicole Angela Travel and Taste, leads a course on intercultural adaptation for Tufts University study abroad program in Madrid and gives talks and workshops on African American political movements and organizing strategies.WHENMarch 22, 2018 at 7pmWHEREOnline Webinar
Martha McDevitt Pugh posted about No financial worries when recovering from hosptalization #DAresists #Medicare4all on Facebook 2017-09-20 09:18:51 -0400
In the Netherlands, I spent 2 weeks in the hospital to treat a major infection. I never saw a bill. I didn't have to worry about how I was going to pay. My treatment in the hospital and recovery at home was fully covered and all administration was handled by the insurance company. I could focus on getting well.
Democrats Abroad is committed to a world where all persons have access to the same rights and benefits, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Democrats Abroad LGBT Caucus is the constituency group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex members and any Democrat abroad who supports them.
The goals of the LGBT Caucus reflect the mission of Democrats Abroad to:
- engage and empower LGBTI Americans living abroad to vote in US elections;
- provide a platform for Democrats Abroad members, country committees and chapters to advance issues at the heart of the LGBTI community;
- support Democrats Abroad’s members in issues they face living abroad as LGBTI Americans, such as access to government services and benefits for same-sex spouses and family members, the legacy resulting from past discrimination and Defense of Marriage Act.
The LGBT Caucus:
- supports Democrats Abroad’s country committees and local chapters in organizing activities of interest to the LGBTI community, such as participation in pride events and voter outreach;
- disseminates information to Democrats Abroad members and promotes action on issues that affect LGBTI Americans and their families;
- ensures that the LGBTI perspective is effectively incorporated in all the work of Democrats Abroad, including issues advocacy, communication and GOTV strategy, planning and execution; ensures that issues and policies that impact LGBTI Americans are included in the Democrats Abroad and Democratic Party platforms;
- takes leadership in Democrats Abroad’s issues advocacy initiatives, including “door knock” visits to elected officials in Washington DC, to ensure that issues that impact LGBTI Americans living abroad and their families are included and addressed by elected representatives;
- encourages LGBTI members to run for elected leadership roles within Democrats Abroad and fulfill Democrats Abroad’s diversity and affirmative action goals;
- supports community building among Democrats Abroad’s LGBTI members and allies;
- promotes Democratic Party candidates who demonstrate commitment to policies that positively impact the lives of LGBTI Americans;
- supports and engages with Democratic Party LGBTI caucuses build capacity and achieve common goals.
@McDevittPugh tweeted link to Women's Caucus. 2017-03-21 05:56:29 -0400Check out Democrats Abroad. I just joined. http://www.democratsabroad.org/wc_signup?recruiter_id=1401