Call for Nominations:
Democrats Abroad Regional Vice Chair Asia Pacific
We are now accepting nominations for the bi-annual election of Regional Vice Chair (RVC) for the Asia Pacific (AP) region! This election will take place during the AP Regional Meeting on the 16th of May as part of the Democrats Abroad Global Meeting. One vote is allocated to each AP country committee and will be cast solely by country committee chairs and vice chairs. The chair and vice chair each carry ½ vote. If either is not present, the other will carry the full vote.
Democrats Abroad has three RVCs, one for each region, who:
- Are elected to a two year term that begins and ends with the regional election.
- Cannot serve more than two consecutive terms.
- Serve as one of 8 voting members of the International Executive Committee. Meetings are currently held weekly and typically last from two to three hours, but this is subject to change with the new leadership.
- Organize and lead monthly regional calls of about one to two hours to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees.
- Organize and lead a one to three day annual regional meeting to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees. When practical, these annual meetings are held as in-person events with remote participation available.
- Act as a liaison between the International Executive Committee and one or more of the Democrats Abroad committees, lending a hand to the committee chair and assuming chair responsibilities should that position not be filled.
- Assist in organizing and attend the annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting, preferably in person when conditions allow. Note that travel costs are the responsibility of the RVC.
- Work with existing country committees to mediate and resolve issues within their committees including election issues, membership queries, etc.
- Track compliance status of country committees with Charter requirements and work with emerging and out-of-compliance countries to help bring them into compliance.
- Communicate International Executive Committee decisions, policies, and Democrats Abroad best practices to the country committee leaders.
- Bring regional issues to the International Executive Committee for discussion and resolution.
The eligibility requirements for AP RVC are as follows:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a member of Democrats Abroad residing within a country in the Asia Pacific region.
- Adhere to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States.
- Due to the extenuating circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, residents of the AP region who are temporarily residing outside of their country of residence due to the pandemic may still run for AP RVC (example: resident of Singapore who is temporarily residing in France due to quarantines and travel restrictions). There must be an intent to return to the AP region following the lift of travel restrictions.
Self-nominations and nominations of others are both welcomed and encouraged! Please submit any nominations via the nomination form at this link no later than 23 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Each nominee is required to accept their nomination no later than 31 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Nominations from the floor of the election meeting will be accepted as well, and all official candidates will be given time to make a short speech.
A list of candidates will be released on 1 April following the nomination acceptance deadline.
Please direct any questions to [email protected].
On behalf of the 2021 AP Nominations and Elections Committee (NEC),
Anthony Nitz (Vietnam, Chair)
Christine Valverde (New Zealand)
Michael Ramos (Australia)
Phong Quan (Singapore)
Statement from Global Chair of Democrats Abroad Julia Bryan, Global LGBTQ+ Caucus Co-Chairs Martha McDevitt-Pugh and Tre' Shawn Griffin-Noordermeer, and Global Veterans and Military Families Caucus Co-Chairs Bob Gould and Erin Watson
We welcome the swift action today by President Biden to fulfill on his campaign promise to undo the unjust exclusion of transgender individuals from military service.
Allowing all qualified Americans to serve their country in uniform provides a single standard. Affirming the eligibility of individuals who identify as transgender to enter and serve in their self-identified gender is the right thing to do.
The Democrats Abroad LGBTQ+ Caucus and Veterans and Military Families Caucus looks forward to working with the Biden administration to forward equality throughout our nation and in the world.
"We answered the call of history. We met the moment. Democracy and hope, truth and justice did not die on our watch but thrived."
Thank you to the thousands of Democrats Abroad volunteers and voters around the world who answered the call of history, who stood up to tyranny, and who helped ensure that hundreds of thousands of Americans abroad could use the most important tool democracy provides us - our vote. You helped make this happen and we only wish we could be together on this momentous day as we raise a toast to our new President and Vice President, to Democracy and hope, truth and justice.
Today should be a day of congratulations and joy - we’ve won two remarkable senate races, helped turn Georgia blue, and ensured a Democratic Congress that will help our President pass crucial reforms. We are tremendously grateful to the many DA volunteers who helped win these elections, and proud of our Georgia voters who went the extra mile to make sure their ballots arrived and were counted.
Yesterday, armed terrorists stormed the Capitol in an attempted coup incited by Donald Trump and his Republican cronies. In the midst of the rioting, Trump encouraged the mob further, endangering our Senators and Representatives, the Capitol, and the very process that promotes a peaceful transition of power.
Few rioters were arrested, and the person who fomented this terror attack remains in highest office, endangering not only those around him but democracy in the US and across the world.
Despite this attack on our institutions, democracy prevailed - our Congressional members stood up to the terrorists and certified the election of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris early this morning.
Democrats Abroad is proud to support our leaders in Congress calling for Trump's removal, and demands that all Senators and Representatives work to remove Trump from office immediately. We ask that you also take action by calling your Congressional representatives. We have prepared a brief call script here plus contact information for your Congressional representatives.
Stay safe and thank you for standing up for democracy.
The attack on the Capitol this afternoon may be the most dangerous moment in US history since the Civil War.
What is happening in DC is a coup attempt by armed terrorists incited by Trump and his Republican cronies to prevent Congress from finalizing his re-election failure.
This attempted coup is the culmination of years of Donald Trump and his Republican cronies building a flourishing white supremacist base, feeding them with lies and falsehoods, and preparing them for violence.
While Democrats Abroad supports the right of pro-Trump demonstrators to express their views, we demand prosecution to the fullest extent of the law of those who would use force to overthrow our elected government. Terrorists should be treated as such. The color of their skin should not allow them to walk away without ramifications. We believe the racial injustice on evidence here is deafening.
We are grateful to our Congressional Representatives and Senators who are, as Senator Amy Klobuchar (MN) has said, committed to reconvening and finishing the job that they started today. Anarchy will not prevail. Democracy will.
To our Congress and the people of DC - the world is with you. Stay safe.
Democrats Abroad wishes you a New Year where hope prevails and the bright lights of democracy, science, and truth shine strong. We celebrate the work we have done together this past year - efforts that led to more voters than ever casting their ballots and overcoming a concerted attack on the very foundations of our republic. We also mourn the many loved ones we have lost. We know the year to come will continue to offer challenges, but look forward to meeting them with you.
"But then, once in a lifetime
The longed for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme."
- Seamus Heaney
Americans abroad have risen up this year and voted in unprecedented numbers for justice and for hope. Our votes have been the margin of victory in flipping states to help win the White House, and we are working now to make sure we help win the Senate through Georgia. Together we have made the difference!
Thank you for making this all possible. Thank you for rising to the challenges of our times.
Democrats Abroad sends our best wishes to you for a safe and relaxing Thanksgiving.
In this election cycle, part of getting out the vote also includes fighting for our votes.
To aid in the fight, Democrats Abroad filed an amicus curiae brief in the Pennsylvania case, DJT for President v Boockvar, et al. That case was dismissed this weekend. Trump's lawyers are attempting an appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and Democrats Abroad is delighted to have filed a slightly revised amicus brief in response.
We remain committed to protecting the rights of voters abroad and ensuring our votes are counted, and are proud to be able to be part of the defense against the spurious legal cases of the Trump administration.
Statement from Julia Bryan, Global Chair of Democrats Abroad
A new day has come to America and to the world. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris have won the White House, and democracy will prevail!
Joe Biden will be a president for all America, healing the divisions that have so fragmented the country. He is a thoughtful statesman, and an experienced legislator and leader, but above all he is a truly empathetic and kind person.
We are also thrilled to have elected Kamala Harris as Vice President. She is a groundbreaking leader, and her legal and senatorial careers have more than demonstrated her keen intelligence, progressive values, and ability to build coalitions. She will be a role model for generations.
Thank you to all of our voters and volunteers for your efforts! We have risen to the challenge of our time, and our votes have been the margin of victory in this historic win.
We look forward to working with the 117th Congress and Biden administration to bring our voices to the table in the coming months.
Democrats Abroad Global Chair Julia Bryan has issued the following statement: