With the Democratic National Convention (DNC) drawing to an end, Democrats around the world are reminded of how many talented, competent, and diverse candidates the Democratic Party has to offer — officials at all levels of government who are eager to repair the damage the current administration has done and to help create policies that work for all. We're reminded that things don't have to be the way they are. But we must show up on November 3 to get Democrats elected. As President Obama so bluntly stated last night, we cannot let them take away our democracy. For overseas voters especially, this means making a plan NOW to ensure that you're registered to vote and that your ballot will make it to the United States on time. Right here in Germany, we're gearing up for the biggest election of our lifetimes and doing everything we can to help Americans in Germany vote. But we need your help and engagement!
Read below for important updates on voting, how you can get involved, developments within DA Germany (like the founding of our 14th chapter, DA Saxony!), upcoming events (like a post-DNC conversation with DA's three delegates from Germany!), and how you can order Biden-Harris and DA merchandise (pictures below).
- If you haven't yet requested your ballot, please don't wait any longer. Complete your request in 5-10 minutes NOW at www.votefromabroad.org. Please mark to have your ballot sent to you via email.
- If you have requested your ballot, now's the time to confirm with your local election office that your request was accepted and that you will receive an absentee ballot this fall. As per federal law, official state ballots must be sent to overseas voters on September 19th — mark this date on your calendar and plan to return your ballot immediately. All state deadlines and accepted delivery methods can be found here: www.votefromabroad.org/states.
- Democrats Abroad is also now encouraging voters — especially those from states that only allow postal mail ballot return (which includes many swing states like MI, OH, PA, TX, and WI) — to already submit an emergency backup ballot (Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot, FWAB) given the real concern that official state ballots may not arrive in time to send in by the deadline. And you can mail the FWAB in TODAY!
There's no downside to using the FWAB. When you receive your official state ballot, you mail that in as well. If both arrive in time, the FWAB will be discarded and only your official state ballot will be counted. But, if your official state ballot is delayed and misses the deadline, your FWAB will be counted as your VOTE.
For detailed information how to fill out and submit a FWAB, go to www.votefromabroad.org/fwab.
- We understand that voting from abroad can get confusing — that's why we're here to help. We'll be offering live voter assistance on Zoom every Sunday through Election Day from midnight to midnight U.S. Eastern time to answer questions you have about voting from abroad.
You're also welcome to submit your question via our Direct Voter Assistance form or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also check out the details on our in-person German-wide voter assistance drive happening on September 5 below!
We have worked relentlessly since January 2017 to put the US back on track, and we can't stop now! We've got tons of different projects that cater to your skills, availability, and interest. Here are some ways you can help us make sure the 120,000 Americans in Germany vote:
- Distribute materials, like Vote from Abroad business cards and tear-off sheets, in your community. Request yours here today.
- Become a phonebanker and make calls to fellow DA members reminding them to request and return their absentee ballot. We've got a series of phonebanking training sessions in August and September. Check out all training dates here. Can't make a training but want to get started? Here's a link to some helpful phonebanking resources.
Added bonus: Call between August 23-29 as part of our Caller Appreciation Week and earn a variety of prizes! Details here.
- If you're from a state that allows postal ballot return only (check your state here), write to your governor and as him/her to take a stand for email-returned ballots! More details, including a sample text, here.
- Help save the United States Postal Service (USPS) by writing to the six men on the Board of Directors. The have the authority to fire Trump-appointee Louis DeJoy, the Postmaster General; roll back Trump's hobbling of the USPS; and save a free and fair election! Here are their emails, and here's a sample text:
Dear Mr. [insert name],
I am a US citizen currently living in Germany. The budget cuts to the USPS are troubling to me on many levels, but as a citizen abroad, it is imperative to me that we are able to safely mail in our ballots for the election this November.
I am calling on you to roll back President Trump’s hobbling of the USPS and ensure that, especially during a global pandemic, our country can have a safe, free and fair election.
- Become a voter assistance volunteer yourself! We need help staffing our Sunday voter assistance sessions. Consider attending a voter registration training tonight, August 20 at 6:00pm or on Wednesday, September 2 at 6:00pm.
- Engage with us on social media! Our Vote from Abroad team is putting out helpful shareable graphics daily. Like and share our posts to help reach new overseas voters!
- DA Germany is excited to have three talented members — Ty Cofield (Frankfurt/Warsaw), Anya Leonhard (Leipzig), and Diego Rivas (Berlin) — acting as delegates and representing overseas voters this week at the DNC! Read more about our delegates here and be sure to catch Saturday's convention recap with them.
- We're excited to announce the founding of a 14th chapter of DA Germany, the Saxony Chapter, which includes all of Saxony as well as part of eastern Thuringia. If you're in the area and looking to get involved, please contact Acting Saxony Chair Kaitlyn Kennedy at email@example.com.
- Our postcards to voters project is drawing to an end. If you have postcards, please color and return them by September 8. You should have received the return address in the original instructions. If you forget it, please respond to this email. In total, we've completed more than 9,000 postcards that are landing in overseas voters' mailboxes — perhaps you event received on yourself! To everyone who's contributed to this project, we say:
Thursday, August 20, 3:00pm (TODAY!)
Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, & Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist join us to talk about swing state races and our election challenges
Saturday, August 22, 1:30pm
Convention Recap with Delegates from DA Germany speak with us about their experience at the Convention and the path to November
Sunday, August 23 to Sunday, August 29, times vary
A series of exciting events, including a call-a-thon, screening of "Capturing the Flag", and guest speakers, presented by the Global Women's Caucus to Commemorate 100 Years of Women's Suffrage
Sunday, August 30, 3:30pm
DA Germany Online Meet & Greet to discuss our organization and it's work, as well as connect Democrats across Germany
Saturday, September 5, times vary
Register Together: A Germany-wide U.S. Voter Registration Campaign with voter registration tables in over 20 cities — add yours to the list today! Please note that all precautions will be taken to limit the spread of Covid-19.
Tuesday, September 8, 7:30pm
Progressive Palates: Wine Tasting with DA to meet like-minded Dems, raise your glass to taking back the White House, and help support DA (suggested €10 donation)
Get all your Biden-Harris gear here and help get out the vote! We're excited to offer new Biden-Harris t-shirts (expected delivery: mid-September), as well as all your favorite DA and Vote from Abroad classics like face masks, tote bags, beer steins, and much more!
If you are already stocked with plenty of Democrats Abroad gear, you can still show your support by donating directly to DA Germany:
Account name: Democrats Abroad Germany
IBAN: DE04 5405 0220 0140 2702 99
On behalf of our entire team, we thank you for your continued support and for passionately getting out the vote in such a critical election year. We look forward to working together with you through November and beyond to put our country back on track.