★ CHANGE IS GOOD! ★
★ Bylaw Amendments were adopted on August 16, September 16, and September 27, 2021! Please visit the Legal & Parliamentary Library for all changes made, to view the most current Bylaws, and to find information on proposed amendments.
★ Changes were made to the structure of the Leadership Board at the Country meeting held September 27th. New positions were created, and there are currently vacancies. Please attend our next Country Meeting (October 24th) and contact us for information and with questions.
★ An NEC has been created for the purpose of hosting a special election. This election will be held to fill Leadership Board vacancies. Election information will be distributed by the NEC. The NEC officer announcement was made public on August 25, 2021. Election notices will be listed on the DACN Website and Wiki Pages. Election notices may further be distributed via e-mail and social media.
DACN is excited to announce Eileen Walsh has joined the Leadership Board!
Eileen will serve as a Member-At-Large for the remainder of the 2021-2023 term.
The Leadership Board held a special meeting and voted on September 11, 2021. All Leadership Board information can be found here.
The Bylaws Committee has reviewed the following proposed amendments to our Bylaws. A proposed amendment to Article III will be voted on by DACN membership at a meeting of the Board on September 16th. Several other amendments will be voted on 30 days from today at our monthly board meeting on September 27th.
★ The following proposals will be voted on during the September 16th Board meeting
★ The following proposals will be voted on during the September 27th meeting
★ RSVP to the September 16th meeting:
★ RSVP to the September 27th meeting:
Voting on Bylaws amendments is open to all DACN members. The Bylaws Committee thanks you for your time. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to send them to: [email protected]
DACN Bylaws Committee
DACN members have risen to the call and volunteered to serve as NEC Officers! The NEC Officers will preside over a special election to fill vacancies within the DACN Leadership Board.
The original post regarding this NEC was created on the DACN Wiki page. All further NEC announcements will be created by the NEC Officers. The NEC can be contacted for the purposes of submitting nominations and for election-related questions.
Please note the method of contact for this body will be [email protected].
Hello Democrats Abroad China!
★ COUNTRY MEETING ★
Join DACN as we round out the third meeting of the term!
Pin pennants with pride and don your hometown hero jerseys! All DA China members are welcome to join as we discuss updates, progress and rock rally caps on Monday, August 16th.
Currently accepting photo submissions from July and August events, as well as members showcasing their DACN and/or USA swag. Pictures submitted by August 15th will make it into the meeting presentation. Please submit via e-mail: [email protected], or via WeChat: DemocratsAbroad.
The Board will begin the process of voting on Bylaws at this meeting.
First at bat is a DPCA amendment. On deck is the selection of a third DPCA voting member. The Bylaws and Rules committee will be reporting on the submissions process at this meeting. Members are encouraged to join the conversation! Please be sure to submit all additions and amendments to the Bylaws & Rules Committee by August 16th. Keep an eye out for further committee announcements.
Current DACN Bylaws and Rules:
Official Submission Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd1aRjRo3-3y356L2kfBYdv5b08dSCM_8Emc63nexX7ril2dg/viewform
★ SPECIAL ELECTIONS ★
We need voters in China to act NOW!!!
A reminder as we roll into the Fall election season, a page is set up on the GOTV Voting Blog with information about the
2021 elections in CA, NJ, VA, OH, and FL.
This information is available on the VFA State Voting pages: www.votefromabroad.org/states
The DA GOTV Wiki page has 2021 Election Calendars and more:
2020 was The Year of the Vote! Here at Democrats Abroad China, as well as across the globe, Americans heard the call to action and responded.
★ Every Vote Counted ★
With voting rights and accessibility being targeted nationwide, DACN is again calling all Americans in China to act.
★ There is much work to be done in 2021 ★
Currently DACN is searching for members to lead and support the missions of Democrats Abroad by joining our country committees and caucuses.
★ The Communications Committee creates positive messaging by
- Drafting newsletters and e-mail announcements
- Promoting our causes across multiple social media platforms
- Creating content for the DACN website
- Designing graphics, posters, flyers, presentations, and more!
★ Our Events Committee requires volunteers to organize and
- Host local events
- Plan nationwide celebrations
- Conduct online meetings
- Coordinate with regional and global events
- Promote caucus activities
★ Join the Fundraising Committee to
- Raise funds for postage, ballot request forms, stickers, swag, and more.
- Additionally, DA Global has set a fundraising goal of $1 million, and we would like to increase our donor participation to help achieve this goal!
★ Have ideas? The Outreach Committee seeks to
- Further develop membership in existing DACN hubs - Beijing, Kunming, the Pearl River Delta, and Shanghai.
- Expand DACN membership and involvement into more cities and regions across our host country to ensure that no American voter is left behind!
- Interface with the regional and global network to share ideas and best practices.
★ Fulfill our #1 mission by joining the Get Out The Vote Committee and
- Inform members about state guidelines and deadlines
- Register voters
- Assist in requesting absentee ballots
★ Caucuses need you! Each DA caucus is inclusive to all members at the global, regional, and ever-expanding DACN level. These include the:
The DACN Leadership Board and I look forward to welcoming you to the team!
Let’s Get To Work!
Liz Blackbourn, DACN Chair
Join Dems Abroad
Find us on WeChat: DemocratsAbroad
Check out our Facebook page
Follow us on Instagram
Email us: [email protected]
Register for your ballot at Vote From Abroad
2021 DACN NEC Parlimantarian:
William J. Puette, Ph.D.
2. The plan to have the NEC take over as presiding officers does not appear to be in “2021 DA NEC call for nominations” needs to be adopted as a special rule or a suspension must be adopted since RONR would not otherwise allow it for the following reasons:
According to RONR (12th ed.) 47:10, “Whenever a motion is made that refers only to the presiding officer in a capacity not shared in common with other members, or that commends or censures him with others, he should turn the chair over to the vice-president or appropriate temporary occupant (see below) during the assembly’s consideration of that motion, just as he would in a case where he wishes to take part in the debate (see also 43:29–30). The chair, however, should not hesitate to put the question on a motion to elect officers or appoint delegates or a committee even if he is included.”
And according to RONR (12th ed.) 47:12 ”The practice in some organizations of permitting the chairman of a committee to preside over the assembly or put questions to vote during the presentation and consideration of the committee’s report violates numerous principles of parliamentary law relating to the chair’s appearance of impartiality and the inappropriateness of his entering into a debate, not to speak of the regular presiding officer’s duty to preside (see 47:5–7).
It is my opinion, therefore, that NEC can only assume the role of presiding officers by suspending these rules which could be done at the beginning of your report by seeking unanimous consent to approve these procedures in addition to the procedures sent out earlier. eg. “If there is no objection the committee recommends that NEC will preside during this elections to avoid the potential of a conflict of interest.” then, after a pause, say “Thank you, there being no objection the NEC will preside during the elections.” If there is an objection, move that recommendation on behalf of the committee.
Since the elections are scheduled to come up after the proposed Bylaw amendments, the vote on the bylaw amendments would indicate the support for such a suspension.
In any event, if a point of order is raised, about this question, I would have to advise as above.
Furthermore, based on our conversation yesterday I am attaching to this email educational handouts on the Duties of the Presiding Officer and on remedies for abuse of the chair’s authority.
Meeting ID: 824 7800 6912
- Meeting number = 1728283659
- Meeting Password = dems
- Meeting URL: https://democratsabroad.webex.com/democratsabroad/e.php?MTID=m6d3f3229c13d43fae84bf56b6be29493
WeChat campaigning in official DA China groups has been prohibited by the NEC because not all DA China members have been permitted to participate in all groups. Here is the list of official DA groups; Announcements Beijing Shanghai Kunming Shenzhen Guangzhou Jiangnan Book Club Women's Caucus Progressive Caucus Black Caucus LGBTQ+ Caucus AAPI Caucus DA Call & SMS Team.
1) I see my name on the candidate list, how can I confirm or withdraw my nomination? We emailed everyone that was nominated and you can respond to that email saying yes I accept or no I decline. Please respond to ALL to ensure we all receive it.
2) Is there anything else candidates need to do prior to the election? Candidates can email a statement if they would like to, but it is not required.
3) How will the election speeches be handled at the AGM - how much time do candidates have and who will get to speak first? We will call on candidates in alphabetical order. Each candidate will receive 2 mins.
4) Do we want to do a special Zoom the night before for candidates to give their speeches or during the meeting? No
5) Is there early voting? N0 (there will be no early voting, as we will be taking nominations from the floor. Anyone who wishes to vote MUST be present at the meeting).
6) How will voting on the election day be handled? All DACN members will be emailed their democrats abroad ID 10 days before the election with a short explanation on how it will be used to vote on the day of the election.
7) Will there be any live events in any of our constituent cities? No.
8) Will members nominated from the floor be given a prescribed and limited amount of time to make a statement? Yes, each nominee will receive 2 mins.
9) Will there be an opportunity at the meeting for members to ask questions of any and all candidates or will that all happen at prior scheduled forums only with candidates who filed? We will allow 2 mins for speeches and 2 mins for questions on the actual day of the election.
10) What's required for candidate statements? No more than 300 words.
11) How long do people have to accept/decline the nomination? Up until the actual election date.
12) Where are these candidate statements supposed to be uploaded to? We will upload them to the main Democrats Abroad China page on democratsabroad.org.
13) Am I allowed to campaign in official Democrats Abroad China WeChat groups? No, candidates cannot campaign inside official DACN WeChat groups.