November Member Meetups - After the amazing election results in Virginia and across the country on November 7, there was a lot to celebrate and our meetups were markedly more festive! For the first time, we had monthly meetups in THREE cities: Kunming, Shanghai and Beijing. In December, we hope to add a fourth meetup in the Pearl River Delta.
Led by Brian Kloosterman, Kunming members met up for the first time to get to know each other and think about ways to reach out to other Americans in the area.
The meetup in Shanghai was hosted by David Henry, with members gathering for a Sunday brunch. Board members Faith Gary and Sam Wong attended.
In Beijing, James Bernard hosted a group to discuss organizing voter registration plans for the Gulou area and other expat hubs in Wudaokou and Sanlitun. Board members Aaron Kruse and Elizabeth Jenkins also attended.
Thanksgiving in Shanghai: Democrats Abroad members in Shanghai gathered at Al's Diner for a Thanksgiving feast! We are so thankful you could join us.
November Leadership Meeting: Your elected leadership of Democrats Abroad China held their monthly call. Meeting minutes are available on the Democrats Abroad wiki. Email us for access: info-china [ a t ] democratsabroad [dot] org
Congratulations to all the amazing, newly-elected candidates from across the country. There are so many reasons to celebrate the election results from November 7, including seeing a victory for Jennifer Carroll Foy (Virginia House of Delegates, 2nd District) who Democrats Abroad China supported through the Sister District Project. Foy also gave birth to premature twins, who only came home from the hospital days before the election - talk about a super woman!
"When you try to spread racism and xenophobia and sexism and misogyny, this is how we respond! We sent a huge message. Trump has heard us, and he has heard us loud and clear!"
- Jennifer Carroll Foy, Virginia House of Delegates member-elect for the 2nd District.
Democrats are also celebrating these victories:
- Virginia and New Jersey governor
- Virginia and New Jersey lieutenant governor
- Virginia attorney general
- Control of Washington state senate
- Expanded Medicaid coverage in Maine
- Virginia house seat for Danica Roem, the state's first openly trans legislator
- Minneapolis city council seat for Andrea Jenkins, the first openly trans woman of color to serve
- Virginia house seat for Chris Hurst, who ran on a platform of gun control following his girlfriend's on-air murder
- Philadelphia district attorney seat for Larry Krasner, a civil rights lawyer who sued the city's police department
- Georgia's 117th & 119th districts *FLIPPED*
- Mayor of Charlotte, NC, the first African-American female to serve
- Mayor of Manchester, New Hampshire, the first female to serve
- Mayor of Hoboken, New Jersey, the first Sikh American to serve
- Mayors in Boston and NYC *HELD*
- Untold city council, school board, parks board, etc. races across the entire country, inspired to stand up and do something by the 2016 election.
Thank you to all the Democrats Abroad China voters and volunteers who made this happen! We couldn't have done it without you!
Do you like this page?