The regional meeting of Democrats Abroad was held one week ago in Madrid, Spain, and a significant percentage of the DA Italy leadership team took the time to participate in the two-day event. For many, this was not only the first Democrats Abroad leadership meeting, but it was also the first time they had met each other face-to-face. Volunteering for Democrats Abroad takes on new meaning when given the opportunity to talk with like-minded Americans and even more so when the meeting is as well-organized as this one was. The DA Spain team coordinated insightful sessions that covered all the areas of interest for activating Americans living outside the country, paying special attention to voter registration given the importance that holds for the 2018 mid-term elections. All of the sessions and events were excellent and the DA Italy team came back to the BelPaese full of new energy and ideas for connecting with Democrats living in their respective areas. Want to volunteer? firstname.lastname@example.org
Call your Senators’ and Representative’s state offices today. Tell your representatives not to forget the Dreamers and to pass a bill that will grant them legal status before the March 5th deadline imposed by President Trump.
Again this year DA will be participating in the Women's Marches this weekend in ROME, FLORENCE and MILAN
Rome: Saturday, January 20: 11 am - 1pm, Piazza dei Santi Apostoli
Democrats Abroad, together with American Expats for Positive Change and Women's March Rome, Italy and other US and Italian groups, is participating in the Women’s March Rome Anniversary, organized by individual American citizens in Italy.
Speakers will include: Asia Argento (actor, writer, director), Lella Paladino (president of D.i.Re), Dinsio Walo-Wright (activist from the Joel Nafuma Refugee Center) and -Loretta Bondi (managing board member of Casa Internazionale delle Donne, on behalf of Be Free)
Florence: Sunday, January 21: 2:30-5pm, Piazza San Lorenzo
You are invited to join Indivisible TUScany's 2nd annual Women's March, together with the U.S. groups We Are March On, Women’s March, #MeToo, and #PowerToThePolls that are organizing hundreds of demonstrations on January 20-21, dubbed #Weekend Of Women (WOW). See the facebook event here.
Milan: Sunday, January 21: 5-7pm, Piazza Scala
Join Democrats Abroad, The Women’s March Milan , Tucamingo and Resistance Events for the following program:
- Women’s March Milan core members will speak briefly
- A few pre-arranged speakers
- Open mic for those present
- Writing on big banners and posters about Why I March
- Live stream interviews for the Women’s March Global pages
If you are fed up with the news from the past several days, take action. Urge members of Congress to denounce the President's statements and to pass a clean DREAM Act NOW.
Find your Senators here.
Find your Representative here.
Here is a call script that you can use.
And remember that you can already request your absentee ballot now: www.votefromabroad.org.
You can find your Representative's contact information here: https://www.house.gov/representatives/
In a last-ditch effort to destroy the Affordable Care Act, with no discussion or analysis, Senate Republicans have introduced the Graham-Cassidy plan which is nothing more than a state-by-state payout, manipulated to benefit Republican voting states and hurt Democratic voting states – all the while destroying access to affordable and adequate health insurance for tens of millions of people. Clearly the GOP is rushing to meet the September 30 deadline to pass something, anything, with only 51 votes.
According to PFAW (People for the American Way), the Graham-Cassidy plan:
- REPEALS health care -- but rather than propose a viable replacement, it hands block grants to the states, giving them autonomous management of their health care program that will EXPIRE in 2026.
- Slashes Medicaid expansion funding by a THIRD by 2026 and completely eliminates it by 2027.
- Entirely scraps subsidies for low-income people on Obamacare.
- Allows insurers to charge older customers FIVE TIMES more than younger ones.
- ENDS any protections against discriminating against patients with preexisting conditions leaving them vulnerable to skyrocketing rates or complete loss of coverage.
We know better than to trust the rhetoric without looking at the fine print – the Graham-Cassidy plan is NOT a solution and we must voice our disproval ASAP! We’ve done it before, let’s do it again – CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW!
Tell your Senators to vote NO on the Graham-Cassidy bill with a message like the one suggested by the Daily Kos – or your own words:
Hello, my name is xxxx calling from zip code xxxx. I am angry the Senate is considering a bill to slash Medicaid, defund Planned Parenthood and deny health insurance to millions. Please vote NO on Graham-Cassidy. I am a constituent, and I will remember your vote.
You can find your senators’ phone numbers and email address here.
We’d love to hear how your call went.
On July 29th, Americans abroad will be posting photos with signs highlighting the advantages of universal health care systems.
Post your photo on your favorite social media platform, and ask others to spread the word.
Hashtags to use
Keep it short, keep it simple, but try to address 1 specific issue that opponents bring up: cost, waiting times, quality of care, doctor choice, etc.
First we have pictures of the deliciously fun picnic on July 2, followed by a few shots taken at the J4 evening
The Senate Republicans have released their heartless healthcare "reform" bill that devastates the poor, ill, elderly and infirm by either taking away their access to health insurance outright, or making it so expensive that it is unaffordable. The bill:
* ends guaranteed protections critical for people with pre-existing conditions, by allowing states to opt-out of covering essential health benefits, which means insurance companies can stop offering plans that cover the kind of services people with pre-existing conditions need
* give billions of dollars in tax breaks to the wealthy and corporations by making the deepest cuts to Medicaid in its 52-year history
* alters Medicaid in a way that threatens the well-being of low-income families across the country
* has the effect of driving up the price for consumers for plans that offer the broader coverage they need, likely to the point where no one could afford it
NOW is the time to call your Senators and tell them this bill CANNOT PASS. The Senate will vote on the bill in the coming week. Call your Senator directly or else 1-202-224-3121 via Skype or your cell phone.
- Urge them to commit to vote against any bill that will result in anyone losing coverage.
- Urge them to commit to vote against any bill that does not guarantee people with pre-existing conditions will not see higher premiums.
- Urge them to vote against to any bill that eliminates funding for Medicaid.
If possible, follow-up your call with an email to your Senator.
We can defeat this mean, hateful and harmful legislation. It will only take a few minutes of your time. CALL NOW. 1-202-224-3121.
As our former President, Barack Obama,wrote on facebook today: “The Senate bill, unveiled today, is not a health care bill. It’s a massive transfer of wealth from middle-class and poor families to the richest people in America. It hands enormous tax cuts to the rich and to the drug and insurance industries, paid for by cutting health care for everybody else. Those with private insurance will experience higher premiums and higher deductibles, with lower tax credits to help working families cover the costs, even as their plans might no longer cover pregnancy, mental health care, or expensive prescriptions. Discrimination based on pre-existing conditions could become the norm again. Millions of families will lose coverage entirely.”