The GOP is saving the worst for last, hoping that Americans are too distracted by holiday cheer to fight the many horrible things being pushed through at the end of the year. That’s why this week, we’re revisiting several key issues.
This week, double down to defend our Democracy.
1. Double down on the fight against the GOP Tax Scam.
Since our Tiny Action on the GOP Tax Scam, a lot happened, including the passage of the Senate Tax Bill. But there’s still (some) hope. A GOP-led conference committee will now seek to harmonize the Senate and House bills, which both chambers of Congress must pass before it goes to the President. The next few days are critical, which is why we’ve launched a detailed action pack for what to do next.
- Email/message them as well (yes email AND call): http://bit.ly/aBetterTaxPackage
- Scripts and background info can be found here: http://www.democratsabroad.org/ttf_december_2017_tax_action_pack
2. Double Down to save Net Neutrality.
Since our Tiny Action on Net Neutrality, the FCC is still set to repeal net neutrality in a vote Dec 14th, despite many calling for a delay — New York attorney general Eric Schneiderman, FCC commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel, and 28 senators — due to 1 million fake pro-repeal comments as well as a pending court case, which could create a regulatory gap that leaves consumers utterly unprotected. BOTH the FCC and Congress need to hear from you.
- Scripts and background info can be found here: http://www.democratsabroad.org/tiny_action_net_neutrality
3. Double Down on Gun Safety.
Since our tiny action on safer gun laws, 75 people have died in American mass shootings, including 27 in Sutherland Springs, Texas. There’s been virtually no progress in banning bump stocks. And just this week, the House voted to sharply expand concealed-carry gun rights, requiring all states to recognize any other state’s permit (including those states where people convicted of domestic abuse and/or stalking can still purchase guns, among other looser restrictions). The bill now moves to the Senate.
- Tell your Senators to vote NO on this horrible bill, championed by the NRA.
"Hi, my name is [NAME]. I vote in [DISTRICT/STATE] but I live in [COUNTRY], where citizens do not have to fear mass shootings in their schools, places of work and worship, or public spaces. I am incredibly concerned and opposed to the Concealed-Carry Reciprocity Bill (H.R.38/S.446). The Senator must vote NO.
This bill is incredibly dangerous and must be stopped. It would invalidate state-level concealed-carry restrictions, make it difficult for law enforcement to verify whether a weapon is legally carried, and essentially allow permitless carry across the country. I will be closely watching this Senate vote, and it will have a serious impact on how I vote in the future."
- Looking to do more on this issue? Check out our suggestions from October’s Tiny Action: http://www.democratsabroad.org/tiny_action_gun_rights
- Intro for first-time callers: http://www.democratsabroad.org/congressional_call_storm
- Fax Congress for free: https://faxzero.com/fax_congress.php
- Message Congress via Resist Bot: https://resistbot.io/
As always, our aim is to turn tiny actions into big results, so we hope we can continue to count on your help! Do you have suggestions for our next tiny action? Email info at democratsabroad dot org and let us know.