Call for Nominations:
Democrats Abroad Regional Vice Chair Asia Pacific
We are now accepting nominations for the bi-annual election of Regional Vice Chair (RVC) for the Asia Pacific (AP) region! This election will take place during the AP Regional Meeting on the 16th of May as part of the Democrats Abroad Global Meeting. One vote is allocated to each AP country committee and will be cast solely by country committee chairs and vice chairs. The chair and vice chair each carry ½ vote. If either is not present, the other will carry the full vote.
Democrats Abroad has three RVCs, one for each region, who:
- Are elected to a two year term that begins and ends with the regional election.
- Cannot serve more than two consecutive terms.
- Serve as one of 8 voting members of the International Executive Committee. Meetings are currently held weekly and typically last from two to three hours, but this is subject to change with the new leadership.
- Organize and lead monthly regional calls of about one to two hours to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees.
- Organize and lead a one to three day annual regional meeting to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees. When practical, these annual meetings are held as in-person events with remote participation available.
- Act as a liaison between the International Executive Committee and one or more of the Democrats Abroad committees, lending a hand to the committee chair and assuming chair responsibilities should that position not be filled.
- Assist in organizing and attend the annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting, preferably in person when conditions allow. Note that travel costs are the responsibility of the RVC.
- Work with existing country committees to mediate and resolve issues within their committees including election issues, membership queries, etc.
- Track compliance status of country committees with Charter requirements and work with emerging and out-of-compliance countries to help bring them into compliance.
- Communicate International Executive Committee decisions, policies, and Democrats Abroad best practices to the country committee leaders.
- Bring regional issues to the International Executive Committee for discussion and resolution.
The eligibility requirements for AP RVC are as follows:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a member of Democrats Abroad residing within a country in the Asia Pacific region.
- Adhere to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States.
- Due to the extenuating circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, residents of the AP region who are temporarily residing outside of their country of residence due to the pandemic may still run for AP RVC (example: resident of Singapore who is temporarily residing in France due to quarantines and travel restrictions). There must be an intent to return to the AP region following the lift of travel restrictions.
Self-nominations and nominations of others are both welcomed and encouraged! Please submit any nominations via the nomination form at this link no later than 23 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Each nominee is required to accept their nomination no later than 31 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Nominations from the floor of the election meeting will be accepted as well, and all official candidates will be given time to make a short speech.
A list of candidates will be released on 1 April following the nomination acceptance deadline.
Please direct any questions to [email protected].
On behalf of the 2021 AP Nominations and Elections Committee (NEC),
Anthony Nitz (Vietnam, Chair)
Christine Valverde (New Zealand)
Michael Ramos (Australia)
Phong Quan (Singapore)
Dear DA Lion City Committee (DALCC) Member,
Our Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held on Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. Among the agenda items will be election of the six members of the Executive Committee (Excom) for a two year term of office.
The AGM will be held at the 3rd floor Board Room of the Business Centre at the American Club, 10 Claymore Hill, Singapore 229573.
Please submit nominations and statement of interests via email to Lisa Tucker-Kellogg at [email protected] no later than Wednesday, 8 May, 2019. We strongly encourage all our members to participate in this AGM and to seriously consider running for one of the positions on the Executive Committee or volunteering for one of the Standing Committees
For positions that receive nominations prior to the election for the said position, there can be no nominations from the floor of the meeting, as those voting via email will not have the same opportunity to vote for candidates nominated from the floor and voting will already be in process. For Excom positions for which no candidates have a been nominated, nominations may be made from the floor at the election meeting.
Once all nominations are received, we will email all of the candidates’ statements of interest and a ballot to be reviewed prior to the election.
Options for voting: (choose one):
• Vote in person at the election meeting via paper ballot.
• Vote via proxy at the election meeting. Submit proxy form by Friday, 24 May. Please note that no proxy holder can have more than 2 proxies and proxy holders must be members in good standing of DA Lion City. The nominations committee will recommend eligible proxy holders to people who don’t know who to ask.
• Vote via email by Friday, 24th May, 2019.. Please send emails to Lisa Tucker-Kellogg at [email protected]
Please note that you must be a member of Democrats Abroad 14 days prior to the election if casting your vote via email or proxy and 1 day prior to the election if casting your vote in person.
Please direct any questions to one of the members of the nominations committee below:
• Lisa Tucker-Kellogg at [email protected] (Chair of the DALCC Nomination Committee)
• David White at [email protected] or
• David Klingensmith at [email protected]
Subsequent E-mails regarding other items on the Agenda for the May 25, 2019, AGM will be sent out by the Chair of DALCC in the near future.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the DA Lion City Nominations and Elections Committee (2019),
Lisa Tucker-Kellogg, Chair of the Election Committee (2019)
Please join us for our latest read, 2034: A NOVEL OF THE NEXT WORLD WAR by Elliot Ackerman.
For more information about the book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54211065-2034
Please join us for our latest read: THE BETTER ANGELS OF OUR NATURE: WHY VIOLENCE HAS DECLINED by Steven Pinker
For more information on the book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13543093-the-better-angels-of-our-nature
Do you like this page?