Democrats Abroad went into action on Saturday evening Nov. 10 as Donald Trump arrived in France. Their candlelight vigils showed him what they think about his 'leadership.' SUPPORTING the TRUE American values including humanitarian concern for others, the first amendment, respect for science, respect for journalists, freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation, equality for women and people of color, care for the environment and dedication to fair play and true democracy. HONORING American victims of right-wing hate crimes inspired by Trump's rhetoric. And RESPECTING our Constitution and the right to pursue investigations without hindrance.
The new Democratic National Committee created an infrastructure to support candidates up and down the ballot and organize year-round -- leading to wins in some places that would've seemed unthinkable two years ago. Here are some of the ways Democrats gained ground across the country :
- 29 House seats flipped so far -- with a good shot at flipping at least half a dozen more once all the results come in;
- Seven governors' seats flipped;
- Six legislative chambers flipped -- bringing the total number we've flipped up to seven this cycle;
- Four Republican state legislature supermajorities broken;
- In total, Democrats flipped over 290 individual state legislative races last night -- bringing our total on the cycle up to over 330!
- Four states voted to expand voting rights, including a constitutional amendment in Florida that will restore voting rights to more than 1 million people with felony records;
- Three state Supreme Court seats flipped;
- Three red states voted to expand Medicaid;
- Two states voted to raise their minimum wages;
- One U.S. Senate seat flipped -- congrats to Jacky Rosen.
And here are some of the incredible candidates who won historic victories last night:
MANON GARCIA is a young French philosopher, specialized in feminist philosophy, and Assistant Professor at The University of Chicago, and an activist as well. She writes about “consent and submission” and has a lot to say about our U.S. political scene: Trump, Kavanaugh, and machismo in general.
Do you like this page?