Call for Nominations:
Democrats Abroad Regional Vice Chair Asia Pacific
We are now accepting nominations for the bi-annual election of Regional Vice Chair (RVC) for the Asia Pacific (AP) region! This election will take place during the AP Regional Meeting on the 16th of May as part of the Democrats Abroad Global Meeting. One vote is allocated to each AP country committee and will be cast solely by country committee chairs and vice chairs. The chair and vice chair each carry ½ vote. If either is not present, the other will carry the full vote.
Democrats Abroad has three RVCs, one for each region, who:
- Are elected to a two year term that begins and ends with the regional election.
- Cannot serve more than two consecutive terms.
- Serve as one of 8 voting members of the International Executive Committee. Meetings are currently held weekly and typically last from two to three hours, but this is subject to change with the new leadership.
- Organize and lead monthly regional calls of about one to two hours to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees.
- Organize and lead a one to three day annual regional meeting to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees. When practical, these annual meetings are held as in-person events with remote participation available.
- Act as a liaison between the International Executive Committee and one or more of the Democrats Abroad committees, lending a hand to the committee chair and assuming chair responsibilities should that position not be filled.
- Assist in organizing and attend the annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting, preferably in person when conditions allow. Note that travel costs are the responsibility of the RVC.
- Work with existing country committees to mediate and resolve issues within their committees including election issues, membership queries, etc.
- Track compliance status of country committees with Charter requirements and work with emerging and out-of-compliance countries to help bring them into compliance.
- Communicate International Executive Committee decisions, policies, and Democrats Abroad best practices to the country committee leaders.
- Bring regional issues to the International Executive Committee for discussion and resolution.
The eligibility requirements for AP RVC are as follows:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a member of Democrats Abroad residing within a country in the Asia Pacific region.
- Adhere to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States.
- Due to the extenuating circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, residents of the AP region who are temporarily residing outside of their country of residence due to the pandemic may still run for AP RVC (example: resident of Singapore who is temporarily residing in France due to quarantines and travel restrictions). There must be an intent to return to the AP region following the lift of travel restrictions.
Self-nominations and nominations of others are both welcomed and encouraged! Please submit any nominations via the nomination form at this link no later than 23 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Each nominee is required to accept their nomination no later than 31 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Nominations from the floor of the election meeting will be accepted as well, and all official candidates will be given time to make a short speech.
A list of candidates will be released on 1 April following the nomination acceptance deadline.
Please direct any questions to [email protected].
On behalf of the 2021 AP Nominations and Elections Committee (NEC),
Anthony Nitz (Vietnam, Chair)
Christine Valverde (New Zealand)
Michael Ramos (Australia)
Phong Quan (Singapore)
CANCELED: Seoul In-Person GPP Voting on March 7, 2020
Sadly, with coronavirus concerns and the dramatic increase in cases in South Korea, we've decided to cancel the in-person voting event we were going to hold on March 7, 2020.
But! The Global Presidential Primary is still the easiest Democratic Primary for overseas voters to participate in thanks to:
EMAIL & MAIL-IN VOTING
Registered Democrats Abroad members should have received a ballot for DA's global primary in their email on February 18, 2020. If you didn't see it in your inbox, you can download the ballot here on the Democrats Abroad website. Just fill it out and send it back by email or post! The deadline is March 10, 2020.
Coronavirus may be exceptionally frustrating, but don't let the virus disenfranchise you! Democrats Abroad represents 9 million Americans living abroad and has as much weight as any US state party in the Democratic Primary. Your vote for your favorite Democratic candidate can have potentially 4x more impact than back at home!
CAUTION: You CAN NOT vote for a Presidential Candidate in both your home state primary and the GPP.
So we hope you choose to use your vote for the GPP!
It's right now!
Join ProDAROK as we celebrate Earth Day a little early. We’ll be meeting in Seosan to clean up litter and trash. So bring gloves and get ready to make our home a little nicer! Feel free to join us with your friends and family, but let us know how many will be coming with you. We will be following all current social distancing guidelines, so we may be organizing participants into smaller groups.
Join us online at the Annual General Meeting to elect our local leaders who will lead Democrats Abroad Republic Of Korea for the next two years! We urgently need at least 25 members to attend or DAROK will cease to exist. We register Americans to vote, advocate for Americans living in Korea, work on legislation, and run special interest caucuses in Korea.
April 24, 2021 at 12pm - 3pm
With the 2020 elections being entirely too close for comfort, Democrats Abroad helped make the difference by a margin. DAROK provides voter registration and organizes support for Democratic candidates in the USA. We also vote as a body of delegates alongside other country chapters representing DA worldwide in the Democratic primary.
The impact of the 2016 presidential election has shown us the urgent need for Americans abroad to be plugged in and engaged with politics that affect our friends, families, and communities back in the USA.
What are the issues you’re personally connected to and concerned about? Police brutality? LGBTQ+ rights? Increasing violence towards Asian Americans? Veteran support services? Healthcare access? International relations? Taxation? Issues that affect Americans abroad?
Whatever issue(s) you feel personally impacted by, Democrats Abroad, the Republic of Korea is dedicated to making sure you have a viable way to express your voice on issues that matter to you and it all starts with voting. Additionally, we want to be a platform for like-minded progressive individuals to discuss, organize, and act around issues that we are affected by as Americans abroad. We would love to hear, build, and work together with you!
Information on Voting
- You must be an American citizen living abroad in Korea and a member of DAROK to vote.
- We encourage you to register with Democrats Abroad ahead of time although you may do so the day of the AGM if necessary. You can do so here:
- You may assign a proxy to another DAROK member to vote, but proxies don’t count towards the 25 member quorum.
Current Executive Board
Fancy taking a leadership role with DAROK? If you would like to nominate yourself or another member for a leadership position, please complete this form by April 10: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd848siYTa8WM1BKmRKi1pxodJKNBZBo7i8q23ftgE2_MlgBA/viewform
Position descriptions are here: http://bit.ly/2NB4Um4
How You Can Help
*Attend the Annual General Meeting, vote, and bring your friends! The more people we can bring together, the more prepared we will be to Get Out The (Blue) Vote and address the issues that affect us. We need at least 25 members to attend.
* SHARE the event and links via social media with your friends and groups. We need all the help we can get.
* DONATE: DAROK is made up of local volunteers and most of our funds come out of pocket. Any money donated will be used for helping with getting out the vote for future events and funding other DAROK related programming.
We look forward to meeting you and seeing all of your tremendous excitement and motivation as we look to paint 2020 blue!
A huge thank you to all of our volunteers who have made all our work possible!
Do you like this page?