Call for Nominations:
Democrats Abroad Regional Vice Chair Asia Pacific
We are now accepting nominations for the bi-annual election of Regional Vice Chair (RVC) for the Asia Pacific (AP) region! This election will take place during the AP Regional Meeting on the 16th of May as part of the Democrats Abroad Global Meeting. One vote is allocated to each AP country committee and will be cast solely by country committee chairs and vice chairs. The chair and vice chair each carry ½ vote. If either is not present, the other will carry the full vote.
Democrats Abroad has three RVCs, one for each region, who:
- Are elected to a two year term that begins and ends with the regional election.
- Cannot serve more than two consecutive terms.
- Serve as one of 8 voting members of the International Executive Committee. Meetings are currently held weekly and typically last from two to three hours, but this is subject to change with the new leadership.
- Organize and lead monthly regional calls of about one to two hours to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees.
- Organize and lead a one to three day annual regional meeting to encourage, inform, and create a sense of community among regional country committees. When practical, these annual meetings are held as in-person events with remote participation available.
- Act as a liaison between the International Executive Committee and one or more of the Democrats Abroad committees, lending a hand to the committee chair and assuming chair responsibilities should that position not be filled.
- Assist in organizing and attend the annual Democrats Abroad Global Meeting, preferably in person when conditions allow. Note that travel costs are the responsibility of the RVC.
- Work with existing country committees to mediate and resolve issues within their committees including election issues, membership queries, etc.
- Track compliance status of country committees with Charter requirements and work with emerging and out-of-compliance countries to help bring them into compliance.
- Communicate International Executive Committee decisions, policies, and Democrats Abroad best practices to the country committee leaders.
- Bring regional issues to the International Executive Committee for discussion and resolution.
The eligibility requirements for AP RVC are as follows:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a member of Democrats Abroad residing within a country in the Asia Pacific region.
- Adhere to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States.
- Due to the extenuating circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, residents of the AP region who are temporarily residing outside of their country of residence due to the pandemic may still run for AP RVC (example: resident of Singapore who is temporarily residing in France due to quarantines and travel restrictions). There must be an intent to return to the AP region following the lift of travel restrictions.
Self-nominations and nominations of others are both welcomed and encouraged! Please submit any nominations via the nomination form at this link no later than 23 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Each nominee is required to accept their nomination no later than 31 March 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4). Nominations from the floor of the election meeting will be accepted as well, and all official candidates will be given time to make a short speech.
A list of candidates will be released on 1 April following the nomination acceptance deadline.
Please direct any questions to [email protected].
On behalf of the 2021 AP Nominations and Elections Committee (NEC),
Anthony Nitz (Vietnam, Chair)
Christine Valverde (New Zealand)
Michael Ramos (Australia)
Phong Quan (Singapore)
Welcome to Democrats Abroad Hong Kong!
DAHK is the official country committee of Democrats living in Hong Kong. Watch this space for upcoming announcements of meetings and events - we have events planned throughout the year, and encourage anyone interested in participating to get in touch. Please also like our Facebook Page for additional news and updates.
If you have questions or would like to help with Democrats Abroad in Hong Kong please contact us.
Nick Gordon, Chair
Democrats Abroad - Hong Kong
Are you passionate about American abroad tax issues and have the skills or time to help?
The DA Taxation Task Force is hosting this volunteer information session to explain what's involved in being a volunteer and to answer any questions you might have about volunteering. Click here for an outline of volunteering opportunities for the TTF.
The DA TTF is a group of dedicated volunteers working towards fixing the tax code for Americans living abroad. We are under new leadership for 2022 and in preparation, we are currently looking to restructure the team as well as inviting new volunteers to join us.
We have a number of volunteer positions available, from people with no experience who want to help out with social media, to subject matter experts that can help us lobby Congress - everyone and anyone is welcome to contribute!
Once you attend the info session, we encourage you to complete this application to the best of your ability. You will then be invited to a follow-up one-to-one 30 minute Zoom call to figure out which teams you fit into and to get you started.
Note: Attending an info session is optional, you do not need to attend to express interest in volunteering. Feel free to go ahead and fill in the application form here.
You can also express interest in volunteering by emailing [email protected] and including as much information as possible about your background and how you think you can help.
Please feel free to forward this event page to friends or family that you think might be interested in getting involved!
Add event to calendar
Democrats Abroad Global Seniors and Disability Caucuses invite you to join us for our monthly Social -- a time for Seniors and members of the Disability Caucus to connect with one another and discuss topics of concern and information. We will reflect, discuss, plan, and strategize together from the comfort of our own homes and with no duties or assignments! This will be fun as we can discuss freely any topic we would like.
RSVP BELOW TO JOIN US ON ZOOM!
LOCATION LOCAL TIME Vancouver CA 6:00 AM Washington DC 9:00 AM London UK 2:00 PM Berlin DE 3:00 PM Nairobi KE 4:00 PM Beijing CN 9:00 PM Tokyo JP 10:00 PM
Do you like this page?