It’s not too late to make a difference. See below and act NOW! Thanks to ex-Ambassador to Switzerland and Democratic activists Suzi and Eric LeVine for much of this content:
- Midterms – we know we can win because we have been winning since Trump was elected:
- Since Donald Trump was elected, Democrats have flipped 43 state legislative seats. In addition, Democrats have flipped one governor’s seat by electing Phil Murphy, one House seat by electing Conor Lamb, and one Senate seat by electing Doug Jones.
- House of Representatives – it’s within our reach
- Democrats need to flip 23 seats to win back the House in November.
- There are 25 districts that Hillary Clinton won that are currently held by Republicans.
- There are 119 Republican-held districts that are more competitive than the district Conor Lamb won in March.
- Republicans are defending 42 open or vacant seats, a record since at least 1930.
- Senate – this is going to be harder, but is still possible to win or tie
- There are 35 Senate seats up for election in 2018.
- 24 Democratic
- 9 Republican
- 2 Independent
- Governors – this will be where we believe we will make the most gains
- There are 36 Governors races in 2018, including 26 currently held by Republicans.
- Of the 36 Governorships, 25 of them will have veto or approval power over the district lines in the 2021 redistricting process.
- State Legislature - here, too, we have tremendous opportunity
- We are 17 seats away from flipping 8 chambers:
- 1 seat away from flipping key chambers: Colorado, Maine, Minnesota and New York state Senates.
- 2 seats away from flipping the Wisconsin state Senate.
- 3 seats away from flipping the Arizona and New Hampshire state Senates.
- 5 seats away from flipping the Florida state Senate.
- Approx. 322 State senate seats will be elected this November that will have a role in redistricting in 2021.
- Vote: As an overseas voter you can still register and vote in 12 states on Monday, and 7 on Tuesday! Here’s the list and steps to take.
- Track your ballot: Go HERE, select your state, and click on Where Is My Ballot for the tool to use.
- Phone-bank: If you’ve phoned for DA and have your CallHub log-in, don’t stop now! The Asia campaign still has 1000+ members to call.
- Knock on doors if you’re in the U.S.
- Donate if you can’t knock on doors or phone-bank. Help Democrats Abroad's 2018 voter outreach campaigns which are having great success. Here are the ones Eric and Suzi LeVine recommend as the most impactful and who are distributing the funds really strategically for the short and long term: The DNC, the NDRC and the DLCC to get people elected from School Board to Oval Office and in every zip code and to get our nation back to a representative democracy.
Vote as if your life depended on it!As an overseas registered voter, you may think your vote doesn’t matter. But in less than two weeks, your vote and that of your family, friends and colleagues in the US, will matter very much.
Although the stakes in the mid-term elections are high for many issues that we care about, the stakes are highest for anyone who needs timely access to health care. And that means all of us at one time or another.Your vote could spell the difference between life and death.
- If you live in Europe, you have probably experienced health care as it should be – readily available, of relatively high quality, at a reasonable price. But if or when you return to the U.S., you will face health care costs that are twice as high as the next most expensive country – Switzerland (and we who live here can vouch for how expensive it is). Your vote for Democrats will help to slow the growth in health insurance costs!
- If you are covered by a health insurance plan now, you probably don’t have to worry that you will be denied coverage because you have a chronic medical condition or had an illness like cancer that could re-occur. If or when you return to the U.S., Republicans have proposed changes in law that would allow health insurance companies to deny coverage for these so-called pre-existing conditions. Your vote for Democrats will protect access to insurance to everyone, regardless of their health status!
- Plenty of your loved ones in the U.S. – your children, your parents, your close friends and relatives – depend on health care covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or federal exchange (“Obamacare”) insurance programs. In 2017, Republicans mounted a full-scale assault on Medicaid, which covers health care for almost 75 million low-income children and adults. For the Medicare program, which covers nearly 60 million people age 65 and older and adults with disabilities, Republicans in Congress just announced plans to make drastic cuts in benefits and charge more for premiums and out-of-pocket cost sharing. Your vote for Democrats will protect Medicare and Medicaid for 135 million people covered by one or both programs!
Your vote matters, now more than ever, to your life and health.
IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO ALREADY, request your overseas absentee ballot today.
IF YOU HAVE YOUR ABSENTEE BALLOT, send it in today or by the deadline in your voting district.
URGE YOUR LOVED ONES IN THE U.S. – parents, children of voting age, relatives, friends, colleagues – to vote for Democrats on election day, November 6, or vote by absentee ballot.(This appeal to all overseas Americans to vote is offered by DA member and health policy analyst Debra J. Lipson, M.H.S.A.)
Do you like this page?