DA Discussions is back! This month our theme is:
Partisan Tribalism and the 2020 Elections
- American politics is tribal. Are we ready to admit that? - Shadi Hamid, The Guardian
- The Threat of Tribalism - Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld, The Atlantic
- Trump, the politics of fear and racism: How our brains can be manipulated to tribalism - Arash Javanbakht, The Conversation
- Does American "Tribalism" End in a Compromise, or a Fight? - Laila Lalami, The New York Times Magazine
- "Tribalism" doesn't explain our political conflicts - Adam Rothman, The Washington Post
- The Trump Era's Tribalism Discourse: Reflections on a "Weird Euphemism" - Charles McCrary, The Revealer
- Why Trump Has Such a Hold on His Followers (And what you can do about it) - Karin Tamerius, Medium
- A Cure for our tribal politics - Devaka Premawardhana, Newsday
- With impeachment, America's epistemic crisis has arrived - David Roberts, Vox
- Hidden Tribes: A Study of America's Polarized Landscape - Stephen Hawkins, Daniel Yudkin, Miriam Juan-Torres, and Tim Dixon
About DA Discussions:
We examine various facets of democracy in group discussions facilitated by political scientist Michael Contarino, Professor Emeritus at the University of New Hampshire.
Contarino founded and directed the Politics and Society program at UNH-Manchester, the UNH-in-Italy program, and the UNH-Manchester Florence program at Palazzo Rucellai. He has taught World Politics; US and World Affairs; International Relations Theory; Politics and Society; Dictatorship and Democracy; Politics and Propaganda in Film; The Politics of Food; and Business, Government, and Society, among other topics.
Each event will cover a different topic and offer complementary readings. The readings are intended to provide insight into the topic at hand but are completely optional.
All are welcome!
This event is free of charge, but we will gladly accept donations from any US citizens who attend the event. Democrats Abroad Switzerland is a volunteer organization that relies on donations to be able to provide outreach, voter education, and voter registration services.
RSVP to Kristen to receive the Zoom link.
Join Democrats Abroad Switzerland as we discuss and "download" after the U.S. Presidential debates.
On the day after each debate, we will have a discussion over Zoom or in person, with experts weighing in on the main takeaways, asking and answering questions, and strategizing around actions we can take to get involved between now and Election Day.
Do you like this page?